New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Police Shooting In Denville, NJ

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

although i don't approve of the shooting, the officer did at first holster his weapon and tried to restrain the kid. even the video shows that. if he's ordering the kid to stop, and he's in the car with him, and he's still not stopping, well, what else do you do? He did try to take the keys without the weapon.

either way, it's a sad situation for the family who lost a loved one, and a sad one for the officer who has to live with this for the rest of his life.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatPreludeGuy,Oct 13 2008, 09:33 AM
You guys are crazy, when an officer fires his weapon he should be shooting to kill, its trained. You don't fire to wound and you dont stop until they're finished. The officer is thinking more of this guy doing 90 hitting another car and killing those occupants as well as himself and the officer.

BTW the officer was in the car because he was trying to take the keys from the ignition and the driver drove away.

It is disgusting seeing the comments one these articles where people are talking about the officer using excessive force. Don't do the crime if you cant do the time!
I watched the video and I fully respect the officer's decision. This isn't a case of speeding, it is far more.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:32 AM

First I assume that no officer ever wants to kill someone and I feel the same with this case. Second the officer was IN THE CAR trying get the keys out of the ignition when the driver started bashing his way out of that area. I've never been in a situation where I was hanging out of a car at highway speeds with a scared drunk kid at the wheel so its hard for me to say what I'd do but you know that your life is in danger and shooting him is the way to go. Last 5 rounds is nothing, if you have an understanding of firearms you'd know that MANY people have taken more then 5 rounds and not stopped.

Shooting at a driver while you're going high speeds you have no idea where you're hitting them. He could be hitting them in the legs, arms, or even in the abdomen without hitting vitals which would effectively do nothing at that time. Sure once they have enough time to bleed out you're stopping them but you could both be dead well before that point.

In a perfect world you wouldn't want to kill the suspect but the officers job is to protect his life and the safety of others, in that situation the kid got the short end of the stick but again if he wasn't being an ass he'd still be alive.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 AM

Sad to see someone get shot, but we cannot judge the officer without being in his shoes. What would you do in his situation? Sometimes we have to realize what cops go through before we judge them.

We often don't like them because they are 'asses' to us for pulling us over. We get mad when we break the law and they are assholes. We always assume they are out to get us. At the end of the day, they have a very tough job and IMO they do not get credit for it.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BD89,Oct 13 2008, 09:53 AM
I watched the video and I fully respect the officer's decision. This isn't a case of speeding, it is far more.

After watching the video, I feel the officer was completely justified in his decision and I honestly hope the family doesn't get any money from him or the town. Call me cold hearted, but the guy was asking for it. He was warned numerous times and still took off with a cop in the passenger seat! Its interesting how the family lawyer said the guy was "unarmed..." Last I checked, a vehicle is considered a weapon
Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Js S2k,Oct 13 2008, 09:56 AM

OMG this is ridiculous. "Use of deadly force was deemed justified" WTF!!!

5 Shots also!! That's way over board IMO. I don't care if the kid was trippin on meth, weed and drunk he doesn't deserve to be shot. Especially not 5 TIMES!!
Stopped, definitely, but not MURDERED!!

The mentality is so much different in America when it comes to crimes, and law enforcement in general. Police in England don't even carry guns!!!

You can hear when the other officer comes up and says:

Officer 1 ~ "Did you shoot him"
Officer 2 ~ "Yeah I shot him"
Officer 1 ~ "F*&K"

Obviously there's feelings there knowing it didn't have to come to that.
I think what the Martinez's lawyer is suing for is 100% "Justifiable" Cops (not all police BTW )
Ok these guys have homes to go to, this isn't an everyday situation. I'd love to see what you would do with your life on the line when someone is doing 90 in a 25.

5 shots is very very very reasonable. I'm sure most people would be shitting their pants and wouldn't have stopped till they heard click click click.

The people should be so lucky he left his head alone so they can have an open casket.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Oct 13 2008, 10:53 AM

After watching the video, I feel the officer was completely justified in his decision and I honestly hope the family doesn't get any money from him or the town. Call me cold hearted, but the guy was asking for it. He was warned numerous times and still took off with a cop in the passenger seat! Its interesting how the family lawyer said the guy was "unarmed..." Last I checked, a vehicle is considered a weapon
There are so many eventualities that could have resulted. This kid was a loose canon, and he could have taken out any other vehicle on the road with deadly results. That's not a cold hearted assessment - I'm certainly not happy, but definitely relieved that he only took himself out.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM

110%

I have friends who are cops... FRIENDS not acquaintances. They are people just like you and me. They have Family,Friends,Hobbies etc... just like you and me. They put
there lives on the line every day. I wouldn't want there job, and I doubt half the people
here could handle the job. Its a thankless job most of the times, 911 is far behind us so people for get that Cops and Firefighters where running into the buildings while everyone else was running the opposite direction to save there own ass.

I watched the video its obvious the cop tried to stop the car. He obviously knew the guy was under the influence. He didn't even shot after the guy almost ran over his partner twice. He tried to subdue the guy until he was left with a choice of either him or me. Not to mention innocent people that could be involved as he his speeding down neighborhood streets. I know exactly where that took place residential street fairly narrow too. It was totally justified and he was doing his job.

Any of you who think he should of fired a warning shot are crazy. How much more of a warning did this jerkoff need. He had a cop in the passenger seat with the door open. Yelling at him to stop the car.

We are not talking about basic harassment here. This jerkoff didn't get shot because he was speeding. He got shot because he was trying to accomplish Vehicular homicide end of story. The officer did his job and saved lives with his decision.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:16 AM

I'm not trying to say the officer was right nor wrong honestly.

Like I said, coming from the UK, police don't even carry guns! Nor do they need to. This is where I come from saying 5 shots is ridiculous.

It's the major difference in mentality between the US and pretty much the rest of the world. Anyone who was raised outside the US will notice a major difference. It's also statistically proven. There are more fatalities in the US by Police gun shooting than ANYWHERE else in the world. Again NOT saying that it's the Police's fault.

I'm not trying to start a thread war about US vs the World or Right vs wrong.

I'll leave it at this which I'm sure we can all agree upon:
It's a shame that it got to where it did, that the officer had to be put in a position to make a decision like that.

J's
Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 AM

This is why the U.S. is amazing we pretty much justifiably kill whoever we want

Quick Reply: Police Shooting In Denville, NJ