New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

planning mini-trip to NYC

Old 06-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning mini-trip to NYC

Hello

I'm planning a short trip to NYC this summer, and was looking for any tips or suggestions anyone might have with respect to travel, lodging, good restaurants, and tourist-worthy spots to check out. It's only going to be a 3 day trip, so probably won't be able to fit in too much, unfortunately. I've just started reading up a bit on NYC on Fodor's online, but thought in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to also get some insight from the locals.

My first question is, I'm coming from the DC area, so was thinking about driving up there, but is that any better in terms of cost-benefit as compared to flying? I imagine driving is probably cheaper, but with gas prices as they are, and the high cost of parking in the city, tolls (?) along the way, traffic, and the longer travel time, it seems like flying, even though more expensive, might be worth it. Also, just out of curiosity, if I were to drive, how much are the tolls along the way?

As for lodging, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on hotels, but would like to stay in a decent 3 or 4 star hotel, in a nice spot convenient to the subway and preferably near Times Square. I'm also open to other desirable locations, of course. I'm thinking not more than $250/night would be great, but am willing to consider paying a little more if it's worth it. Also, are there any "insider" tips to getting cheap rates in a nice hotel?

If it helps any, some spots I'd like to hit are Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, Chinatown, Central Park, and MoMA. I doubt I'll be able to fit all of those in 3 days though, but would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on any of the above.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BerlinaBlackS2kguy,Jun 8 2006, 03:16 PM
Hello

I'm planning a short trip to NYC this summer, and was looking for any tips or suggestions anyone might have with respect to travel, lodging, good restaurants, and tourist-worthy spots to check out. It's only going to be a 3 day trip, so probably won't be able to fit in too much, unfortunately. I've just started reading up a bit on NYC on Fodor's online, but thought in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to also get some insight from the locals.

My first question is, I'm coming from the DC area, so was thinking about driving up there, but is that any better in terms of cost-benefit as compared to flying? I imagine driving is probably cheaper, but with gas prices as they are, and the high cost of parking in the city, tolls (?) along the way, traffic, and the longer travel time, it seems like flying, even though more expensive, might be worth it. Also, just out of curiosity, if I were to drive, how much are the tolls along the way?

As for lodging, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on hotels, but would like to stay in a decent 3 or 4 star hotel, in a nice spot convenient to the subway and preferably near Times Square. I'm also open to other desirable locations, of course. I'm thinking not more than $250/night would be great, but am willing to consider paying a little more if it's worth it. Also, are there any "insider" tips to getting cheap rates in a nice hotel?

If it helps any, some spots I'd like to hit are Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, Chinatown, Central Park, and MoMA. I doubt I'll be able to fit all of those in 3 days though, but would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on any of the above.

Thanks in advance!
It would help if you posted what kind of food you like, what your interests are, etc.

I'd fly the Delta or USAir shuttle from Reagan to LGA if I were you. Fly on an 'off peak' time and the cost is about $125.00 round trip! Definitely less than gas and tolls & parking. My daughter goes to college in Fairfax VA and it's definitely cheaper to fly than drive. It also is a 50 minute flight, compared to a 5 hr. drive.

And you really won't need a car once you arrive if you are going to the places you wrote about wanting to see. (Except maybe Staten Island...may I ask why would you want to go there?)

I suggest you post the restaurants and hotels you are looking at seriously, and if we know about them we can give you the or . There's just WAYYYY too many to list.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 PM

agreed..

and definately dont drive... not worth the hassle.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:19 PM

If you can wait until August to fly you can get cheap flights on JetBlue:
JetBlue Airways (Nasdaq:JBLU) today announces it will begin up to six daily nonstop flights between New York/John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Washington, D.C./Dulles International Airport starting August 17, 2006. Introductory fares will be $39(a) each way -- which is 40% lower than the lowest current Shuttle fare in the market today. This introductory fare must be purchased by June 30, 2006, and all travel must be completed between August 17 and September 30. Regular fares will range from $50(a) to $145(a), which are between 20-80% lower than pre-JetBlue fares in this market.

I also recommend looking to stay in Jersey City - you have quick, easy access to Manhattan via water taxi and great views of the city while getting a cheaper rate.

As for attractions I recommend taking a ride on the Circle Line - I've done it several times and always enjoy it. http://www.circleline42.com
Old 06-09-2006, 06:08 AM

Dark Zen:
How long will you be here?
Are you adventurous or just want to see the typical 1st time in NYC things?
There's so much going on; if you focus a bit more I know we can all help.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 AM

Blue water grill is great place, for suushi.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roll 'n' Roaster in Brooklyn for burgers and cheese fries! and their iced tea. NOW IM STARVING!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Darien1629,Jun 9 2006, 10:19 AM
Blue water grill is great place, for suushi.
my friend who is in the food industry says that this place uses the cheapest fish they can find. . If your looking for good sushi go to sushi samba or the new Morimotos. As for night life what are you looking for? Do you want to get all cracked up and stay out till 9 in the morning or do you want to see a show while in town or just relax in a nice lounge? Let us know then we can point you in the right direction.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:24 AM

chinatown bus is like 20 bucks...if you are cheap--ahem, frugal
Old 06-09-2006, 01:30 PM

You may want to take the train. Amtrak right to Penn station if you take the highspeed express not to long

Quick Reply: planning mini-trip to NYC