New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut
View Poll Results: Are you college educated?
Yes
44.44%
No
24.07%
I'm working on it
31.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

OT: College Educated or Not?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the corporate world, I believe it's all WHO you know and not necessarily WHAT you know. Granted with a college education (and higher education) it's easier to get your foot in the door, but once you do, your education hardly matters.

Of course, it depends on the field you are working in. If it's some specialized mechanical engineering position, then obviously a PE/FE and a masters would be better than just a HS education. I was terribly disappointed at my college career (it was tough for me) and I did Computer Science. All the courses they taught were obsolete the year after it was complete. Who the hell uses Java and C++ now?

I have a pretty good position in marketing now doing something totally different than what I went to school for. It's still IT based (VoIP) so I can still use my techy IT "skillz" when I'm working. I like my job and I think I'm going to continue on this path for a while.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Two year degree from tech school... i don't fit any mold, i've only worked for two companies and became Director for my company in 8 years.

It's a fine line between brown nosing and being aggresive, i simply always tried to do more and jump into any open position i could even if i wasn't qualified. My friends with degrees who bouce around don't do as well as me but again i'm the exception.

Stay in school as long as you can but if you can't work hard, really hard and show your boss you're not afraid to do more, there is a huge line between the guys picking up a check and people who want the company (and themselves) to be the best.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rutgers, History
Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 PM

I voted as working on it. Im going to a open house at a college tommorow. Im at the point where im gonna quit my job to hit the books as i should have 10 years ago.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm one year from graduating. College is wonderful, it's quite nice to be in a motivated learning environment where people learn because it's enjoyable. A college degree is a useful tool in getting and maintaining a job. It's a way to open the door.
Unless one is very motivated and hardworking and has the vision to begin their own company, it is not easy to be without a college education. I know more than a few people who never went to college and are now the wealthiest people I know of, but the circumstances of their upbringing dictated that, and college took a back seat to motivation and perseverance.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

im done next year with my undergrad and than ill either work at a law firm for a year or go to law school. dunno yet we'll c
Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in Engineering. Like someone said, its just like a HS diploma. Going back to get my Masters.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KNJ,Dec 8 2008, 08:54 PM
Two year degree from tech school... i don't fit any mold, i've only worked for two companies and became Director for my company in 8 years.

It's a fine line between brown nosing and being aggresive, i simply always tried to do more and jump into any open position i could even if i wasn't qualified. My friends with degrees who bouce around don't do as well as me but again i'm the exception.

Stay in school as long as you can but if you can't work hard, really hard and show your boss you're not afraid to do more, there is a huge line between the guys picking up a check and people who want the company (and themselves) to be the best.
...and always dress to impress, be the best dressed guy in your office every day, boss coming into town get new shoes or get them shined, got something special going on buy a new shirt and pants. even a new pair of socks helps you feal better, more confident etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM

no college.. 1.5 yrs in a vocational "college" with a certificate of graduation...
making more than some ppl i know who HAVE degrees...
The car business has been good to me for the last 7 years....
68k not bad for no college.... I think at least...
Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by shamoo,Dec 8 2008, 05:13 PM
Being in the corporate world, I believe it's all WHO you know and not necessarily WHAT you know.

No college for me though. Went right from high school into working at an auto body shop, now I'm working as a auto damage appraiser at a major insurance company. I'll be the first to admit my old man had a huge part in getting me in the door (he's been in the buisness for almost 30 years now) but it's on me not to screw it up.

Quick Reply: OT: College Educated or Not?