New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Need help with stripped prop shaft bolts

Old 06-15-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah those were a bitch when I pulled my motor out, good luck man
Old 06-16-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This whole thing has me so damn depressed. I don't have any real possessions in life other than this car. In fact it’s my daily driver and the CRV im borrowing from my parents can go at any time. With 192K on it I’m nervous every time I start it up.

I tried vice grips already. All they do is strip the outside of the bolt. Since I was able to get 2 out I guess I can use those to practice with the bolts extractors but I see what some are talking about going that route. The bolt head is small it may be difficult.
I’m going to hit them with some PB again, let them soak and then try the vice grips one more time. After that I’m going to have to cut the heads off.

Question – is the inside of the driveshaft threaded at all or is it just the holes in the diff flange? I have 6 new bolts and if all I have to do is cut off the heads and the drive shaft will pull off I guess I’ll just go that route and get it done.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

just the diff flange. iirc.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Hey guys..i got one head off. But the metal is literally seized to the metal plate behind it. Guess at this point I can somehow pray that I can get the front bolts out but I bet they will just strip too.

Name:  IMG_20130616_135540_zpsa7f38742.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  51.6 KB

at this point im at wits end. so frustrating and upsetting. Ill never put a bolt back in any car without anti seize again. Guess my hopes of having this car fixed anytime during the summer are lost. I pray none of you have to go through this.

Guess the car is gonna get towed to Billman now. Anyone know a reasonable tow company that will do Port Chester to Suffolk please let me know. Thanks to everyone here for all your suggestions... I did my best!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im telling you man please just try to drill a pilot hole right through the middle of the bolt then run a reverse thread bolt right through it. It will grab and twist it right out.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Drill the bolt out. Start with a small bit and work your way up until the bolt collapses on itself. Take your time to not mess up the threads female end.

Had to do this to an exhaust bolt on the back of my head once.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys... at this point I think its best to just have Billman do it. I’m exhausted, so is Jose. Im sure id screw it up if I drilled it out, im just not that good at this stuff. The diff I got is used, and if I put it in the car and there’s an issue I’ll be double f@#ked. The way I see it is that the only one who can do this right is Billman and if I have to pay the 300 to have it towed to him for the diff swap and repair then it is what it is... I’m not mechanical like you guys are and have limited space to work on the car. I don't have a garage and can only use the parking lot of my building for the repair. So at this point it’s just not practical anymore.

If someone with mechanical know how was willing to come to my place to help with this then I’d do that, and pay for it too but no one is around and that’s understandable. We all have lives, work, families, etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Good luck bro.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mixwell
Good luck bro.

Thanks man... I hope I can get the car back running before most of the summer is gone.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Smart. Take it to Billman.
Those are long, hard as hell bolts.
There is no way, based on the ft/lbs I've applied with vice grips and heat in the past, that a left handed bit, or extractor will hold up up.
I've actually removed some fused ones by beating on the head with a hammer too before vice gripping them off.

Quick Reply: Need help with stripped prop shaft bolts