New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Need help with stripped prop shaft bolts

Old 06-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with stripped prop shaft bolts

Hi guys,

still haven't gotten the new diff in my car. The prop bolts are seized to the diff and now they are basically stripped. Ive been at it since 7 am this morning. At this point, I don't know what to do anymore. I spoke to Billman and did everything he told me but they still are so locked in. Some have said to torch them but since they are stripped I cannot get a grip on them even if they are red hot.

The axles are off the car so it cant be moved. Its up on 4 jack stands. whoever at Honda made the conscious decision to use allen keys on the prop shaft should never be allowed to design any component for a car again.

I willing to pay someone to help me with this as Ive exhausted all options. Billman is booked and too far away so I figured id see who might be in Westchester to possibley help. Jlozano has been helping me a lot be he to wont be able to get these out now, plus Jose needs a break from my damn car... All I want is the 4 remaining bolts removed, that's it.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the only option left is to drill a pilot hole in each and try bolt extractors but not sure if that wuld even work considering the bolts arent that wide and you may need a decent sized extractor to get enough torque on it
Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rounded a bolt on my rear caliper and used this to get it out. Theoretically, the more torque you put on it the more it will bite.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CCXVZ
Old 06-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Thats what your more than likely going to need. A reverse thread drill bit may work but not sure if its going to get enough bite before stripping the new threads
Old 06-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by gofast182
I rounded a bolt on my rear caliper and used this to get it out. Theoretically, the more torque you put on it the more it will bite.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CCXVZ

Thanks man..yeah was looking at these today but I don't think they will fit over the bolt. The driveshaft is almost flush with it..
Old 06-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like you might have to weld washer and a nut to each and loosen. Works like a champ, just need a welder
Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jst2878
Sounds like you might have to weld washer and a nut to each and loosen. Works like a champ, just need a welder
Unfortunately I have no way to do that but I appreciate the suggestion. The problem is that there is no room to work as the driveshaft is right there and the flange is so damn small. On my last RWD car the driveshaft was a synch. 6 bolts that came off with a 17mm in no time.

I was so pumped to get this diff out and the new one in. It’s all I’ve wanted to do for the last month. It’s very upsetting for me to be in this position and it’s the feeling of having no real options at this point that bothers me the most.

However someone just suggested that drill them out, taking the head off the bolt and pulling off the prop shaft that way. But im not sure that will work..
Old 06-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Drill a pilot hole through each bolt then drill in a reverse thread bit. It will crack it loose and get them out but you have to use the biggest diameter you can that will still leave some of the bolt. Dont drill it out because if you slip your going to damage something and be worse off
Old 06-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

i mean if pb blaster and vice grips are not working you could always take the drive shaft off with the diff and than do it out of the car. would be wayy easier. a drill bolt out kit will work. hmmm.

edit:
I think its possible to take the end of the drive shaft off. I could be wrong but I thought you could do that some how. ill see if I can find it
cant find it yet but you could get a took a 12 sided 12mm socket and hammered it on each one end than use a ratchet to take it off.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

CUT THE HEADS OFF THE ALLEN BOLTS. Get a wheel cutter and cut the head off. You can then get the drive shaft off and diff out of the car.

This will then allow you to PB blaster and vice grip the rest of the bolts out. It very well may allow you to pull them out by hand. I found with mine that it was either the bolt to washer or the drive shaft hole that was keeping the bolt from coming out easily.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Need help with stripped prop shaft bolts