New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Memory Lane

Old 08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default Memory Lane

This evening I was in Ledgewood with my wife and my 8 year old. We had some shopping to do, and the Ledgewood Mall is where we ended up. We decided to have dinner at the Panera Bread that just opened up in the shopping center near Route 10. When we got there we discovered a hot rod/muscle car meet in the parking lot. We had to take a look. Anyway, the do-wop music sounded great.

Most of the cars were hot rods, and the usual Camaros, Chevelle Malibu SS, Corvettes and etc. My son was delighted to finally see a real G.T.O. after having listened to the song from my collection. I admired the cars, and the craftsmanship that went into them. Even though I was pleasantly pulled down memory lane, I never really liked this type of car. I was the odd ball that liked MG's and the other European sportscars. I wished that GM or Ford would produce something for me, but they were too busy making big cars, muscle cars and boulevard cruisers. All I wanted was a small car that could negotiate a twisty road at fun speed. Give me a 4 speed, rack and pinion, 4 cylinders and a rag top and I was happy.

There was a magnificent Austin Healy 3000 with only 40,000 original miles on it. What a beautiful car. There was also a 1972 MGB. There was nothing special about it except that I owned one years ago and before I had my S it was my all time favorite car. It brought back some real nice memories. There was also a 1964 (I think) Corvair. This is the corrected model that GM produced after the horrible first model. This may be the closest thing to a sportscar ever produced by GM (excluding the early Corvettes).

I've owned a 1972 MGB, a 1952 MG-TD, a Triumph TR-6 and a horrible Fiat X-1/9. I've had Accords, 4Runners and the usual suite of "family" cars since. I recently took delivery of my 2002 S in Sebring Silver. It is, without question, the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. It is all the things my other cars were and it is a Honda. Thats a hard combination to beat.

I do wonder if someday 30 years from now someone will see my S at a show like tonight's and have such nice memories. I hope so.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think so. Its a great car from a company that is usually known for its family sedans...so when the S came out people were and still are in shock that its a Honda. Reliability and now Excitement in one car. Cant beat it.