New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Lost Control on the LIE!!!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Control on the LIE!!!

This past weekend, I was driving my 2002 S2K west on the LIE and I lost control of the car, spun out and landed on the shoulder, facing traffic. Luckily, there was no damage to the car (or me). This was the first time I really drove my car after having new rear tires put in in January. The tires are got are Conti brand (I dont know much about them). I feel like I have less control of the car - especially when I drive above 70mph on the LIE. The car seems to want to adhere to the grooves in the road and veer to the left.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it the tires? Should I get them replaced? Has anyone else lost control in dry weather? Is there a such thing as tires gripping the road too well? Please help!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you have the wrong size tires? Bad wheel alignment? How fast were you going at the time you lost control?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:10 AM

Good to hear you and the car are fine. But that pretty scary...You lost control on DRY pavement? Thats nuts and not normal. I could see if it was in wet conditions. I agree that it could be a bad alignment. Mine was all over the highway before i got mine aligned.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 AM

Doesn't matter how bad an alignment. It's just aggressive driving for tires that can't handle it. No point in making excuses for him. Front tires are the S02's still i'm guessing. So the rears have very little grip compared to the front and taking a turn too fast with that sort of balance makes the car loose the rear. It's time you either A) Get the same rear tires as the front or B) Learn to actually control over-steer.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Former Moderator

Good catch, I missed the part where he only replaced the rear tires.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:00 AM

I was going 70mph at the time. A car to the left of me swirved into me and in trying avoiding it, I tried to change lanes real fast, at which point I lost control. It was a completely dry surface, but very uneven. I'll get the alignment checked, but the car does drive ok on a smooth road. So you think that by changing the front tires, it will be ok. Anyone know of a good guy to go to on LI to get this kind of stuff done?

Thanks!

BTW, I am new to s2ki and I love it already. Ill have to share my other S2K drama at some point.

B
Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size rears did you put on? If you put on tires marked 225 then that's a major part of your problem right there. Any aftermarket tire for this car, with the exception of the OEM Bridgestone S-02, must be sized 245 in the rear. If you mounted a tire thats too small in the rear, it will cause extreme tail-happiness
Old 05-04-2004, 11:52 AM

I wish I knew about this stuff before I payed $360 for tires....I guess you learn from your mistakes. I think I do have 225's in the back and they are not OEM. Where can I get the OEM tires? I wonder if the Mavis Discount Tire place will replace mine for a discount (I got them in January and they dont have more than 1000 miles on them)?
Old 05-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Former Moderator

The OEM are Bridgestone S02s specifically designed for the s2000. You can get them at tirerack.com
Old 05-04-2004, 12:02 PM

Thanks dude! Would anyone suggest anything other than the OEM's? It's for everyday use.

Quick Reply: Lost Control on the LIE!!!