New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

JDM engine depot in Kearny

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmotors > * It's worth the extra price for piece of mind.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

First, don't think I am defending them by my response because im not, I have to go by my experience.

The problem is around here you dont have places to go to for motors, they are really the best place that I have seen arouund here. There always those local shops, but alot of times there stolen motors. In total with the motors I have purchased with friends and some of the other guys that I know, its a total of about 20 motors, but those were all Honda motors.

I never bought a nissan motor from them. Before I bought the s2k, I wanted a 240sx to do the swap but could never find a clean 240sx. I know with the nissan motors there is work to be done like change the turbo, fuel rail, and oil pan. You can go to 240sx motoring and get a SR20 from them, but you will pay double the price compared to JDM depot(spoke to the owner of 240 motoring a long time ago about it). But that may be worth it as they will give you a motor that runs and last longer than a month.

With JDM you cant buy the motors online or order over the phone and have them ship it to you. You need to go there in person and pick the motor you want. If a sensor is broken, you need to tell them right there and have them give you another one or start dropping the price. When we went to pick up a honda motor a month ago, a map sensor was broken, they gave us another one right on the spot. If you order the motor online, they do wash it and make it look brand new, they were doing it to a RB25 while we were there.

BBP - every place I have seen only has start up warranty, it sucks and you always take a chance. Its very sad to hear that your credit card company didnt back you up. I have had issues with vendors before and I called my credit card company and they credited my card within 48 hours. Its sad to hear about the issues you have had because now if someone says should I go get an SR20 from them, ill tell them no, 2 people on the s2k forum have had problems with them.

I never saw hmotors in person, but from the pictures they look clean. My boy told me he has seen a few in person and couldnt believe how clean they are.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM
bbp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlozano180
First, don't think I am defending them by my response because im not, I have to go by my experience.

The problem is around here you dont have places to go to for motors, they are really the best place that I have seen arouund here. There always those local shops, but alot of times there stolen motors. In total with the motors I have purchased with friends and some of the other guys that I know, its a total of about 20 motors, but those were all Honda motors.

I never bought a nissan motor from them. Before I bought the s2k, I wanted a 240sx to do the swap but could never find a clean 240sx. I know with the nissan motors there is work to be done like change the turbo, fuel rail, and oil pan. You can go to 240sx motoring and get a SR20 from them, but you will pay double the price compared to JDM depot(spoke to the owner of 240 motoring a long time ago about it). But that may be worth it as they will give you a motor that runs and last longer than a month.

With JDM you cant buy the motors online or order over the phone and have them ship it to you. You need to go there in person and pick the motor you want. If a sensor is broken, you need to tell them right there and have them give you another one or start dropping the price. When we went to pick up a honda motor a month ago, a map sensor was broken, they gave us another one right on the spot. If you order the motor online, they do wash it and make it look brand new, they were doing it to a RB25 while we were there.

BBP - every place I have seen only has start up warranty, it sucks and you always take a chance. Its very sad to hear that your credit card company didnt back you up. I have had issues with vendors before and I called my credit card company and they credited my card within 48 hours. Its sad to hear about the issues you have had because now if someone says should I go get an SR20 from them, ill tell them no, 2 people on the s2k forum have had problems with them.

I never saw hmotors in person, but from the pictures they look clean. My boy told me he has seen a few in person and couldnt believe how clean they are.

1 key thing is to look at the valve cover gasket, if it looks siliconed walk away.
If it looks new and shiny they probably opened the motor up.

It's a shitty shop with a bunch of scammers instead of the customer service.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

like everyone has said its hit or miss. i know a buddy of mine bought a motor for his integra there and it was fine. he also bought a few odds and end parts too and didn't have a problem. its used parts and they dont test them before they sell them. they come in a container from japan, so they really have no idea what they're getting, just like you dont. you're best bet is buying a usdm motor from a junk yard or a forum.

since youre looking for a auto trans for your accord, i'd look for a used one on ebay or honda forums. no reason do get a jdm one. dont get it rebuilt. those dont last long at all, especially in hondas. been there done that. they last 1 yr and start slipping again. get a used untouched usdm one, swap it in and be done with it.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mister_two
Anyone bought/dealt with JDM engine depot in Kearny, NJ? Looking for references for this place. I am shopping for a auto transmission for a 2000 Accord, 4 cylinder. Still debating whether to get a used trans or take it to a reputable transmission shop to have my current one rebuilt. Appreciate any assistance.
that place is literally a block away from me and i went to jdm engine zone in clifton nj for my sr20 when i had my 240. the whole experience was just better for me i personally dont like engine depot.