New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

JDM engine depot in Kearny

Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM engine depot in Kearny

Anyone bought/dealt with JDM engine depot in Kearny, NJ? Looking for references for this place. I am shopping for a auto transmission for a 2000 Accord, 4 cylinder. Still debating whether to get a used trans or take it to a reputable transmission shop to have my current one rebuilt. Appreciate any assistance.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With places like this it's a 50/50 chance and will most likely hear 2 different sides and instances where either the customer is happy with what they purchase and then there are always people who are not. It really is a hit or miss with these engine depots. I actually had a friend this past summer who had purchased a nissan s14 sr20 motor from them in jersey and it came to be the motor was bad and they refused to give any sort of refund on the motor or exchange. But about 5 years ago I had bought I b16 type r motor from them and it was perfectly fine no issues what so ever. So all I can say is just be aware because you could never be to sure about a used motor or transmission that the dealer pretty much has no clue about and the condition and the past of the motor besides what is visual
Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyrider112
With places like this it's a 50/50 chance and will most likely hear 2 different sides and instances where either the customer is happy with what they purchase and then there are always people who are not. It really is a hit or miss with these engine depots. I actually had a friend this past summer who had purchased a nissan s14 sr20 motor from them in jersey and it came to be the motor was bad and they refused to give any sort of refund on the motor or exchange. But about 5 years ago I had bought I b16 type r motor from them and it was perfectly fine no issues what so ever. So all I can say is just be aware because you could never be to sure about a used motor or transmission that the dealer pretty much has no clue about and the condition and the past of the motor besides what is visual
well said
Old 01-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I have been there 3 times and pick up 3 motors with friends. Never had an issue with any of them. The thing with JDM is you need to look thru a few of them before taking one. Don't go by what they tell you, pick the one you want. When I went to get an H22, we look thru 5 of them before we took 1. We made them bring it down from the top shelf.

With JDM, you can't just buy the motor and drop it right in. You need to do the maintenance. Krazyrider112, I'm not sure what happened with your friends SR20. I know with sr20, you need to change the oil pan when you get motors from JDM.

In the end they are still used motors so you always take a chance.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 PM
bbp

I purchased Nissan SR20DET engine from them. The engine went bad after a week and they refused to give any sort of refund on the motor or exchange.
Turns out they rebuilt the motor incorrectly and it blew. Made a charge back and was not successful so I sold the car with a blown motor. Stay away from that place.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear that BBP, why would they rebuilt the motor? They should be selling the motors as is. Its suppose to be 30 day start up warranty. What did they tell you, that its your fault it didn't start?

I haven't seen another place that sells JDM engine in our area of NY, NJ, CT
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM
bbp

Sometimes they buy junk motors from Japan and rebuild them in their warehouse in U.S.
Also if customer returns defective motor they also rebuild it.
It did start up but it started smoking after a week and was done after less than 2 weeks.
Claims processed and lack of response from them dragged on for over 30 days so I contacted the credit company for a charge back.
Credit Card company told me that they will try to recover the money if I pull the motor out of the car and ship it back to Engine Depot.
If Engine Depot would not accept the delivery I would be out of luck and the credit card company did not guarantee refund even if Engine Depot accepted the refund. So I just sold the car with a blown motor.
Never buy a motor if it only has start up warranty!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
bbp

Forgot to mention the motor was supposed to be complete with all the censors and the CAS was missing which costs over $200 alone. They lied that everything will be complete because when I called them to confront them they denied everything. Don't buy the motor if it just looks clean. They toothbrush all over the engine to get all the dirt out and polish the valve cover making it look all new. Engine will look spotless without any sign of oil stain/drip. Any used engine supposed have oil stains/drips, it's a normal thing.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by jlozano180
I have been there 3 times and pick up 3 motors with friends. Never had an issue with any of them. The thing with JDM is you need to look thru a few of them before taking one. Don't go by what they tell you, pick the one you want. When I went to get an H22, we look thru 5 of them before we took 1. We made them bring it down from the top shelf.

With JDM, you can't just buy the motor and drop it right in. You need to do the maintenance. Krazyrider112, I'm not sure what happened with your friends SR20. I know with sr20, you need to change the oil pan when you get motors from JDM.

Well thats the exact problem we had when we opened up the motor. Thank god we did and caught everything before we put the motor in and started it. But then thats against there return or warranty policies. They forbid you to open and take a look to make sure everything in the engine is in perfect condition, so once you remove the head from the block all warranty is void, which is b.s. Your not "allowed" to take apart your "own" motor that you just purchased from them, even if its by a certified technician they will cry a river and refuse to work with you at all. So if my friend didnt have any intentions to replace some of the basic parts with in the motor he would of never caught the chipped and cracked pistons and blown turbo. What this JDM place suggested was that he should have put in the motor and started it while on video to have proof but as easy as they made it seem I'm for sure they would have came up with something after the fact even with a video. But they cover there asses pretty well so just be on your toes.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 AM
bbp

Originally Posted by krazyrider112
Originally Posted by jlozano180' timestamp='1390528842' post='22980453

Well thats the exact problem we had when we opened up the motor. Thank god we did and caught everything before we put the motor in and started it. But then thats against there return or warranty policies. They forbid you to open and take a look to make sure everything in the engine is in perfect condition, so once you remove the head from the block all warranty is void, which is b.s. Your not "allowed" to take apart your "own" motor that you just purchased from them, even if its by a certified technician they will cry a river and refuse to work with you at all. So if my friend didnt have any intentions to replace some of the basic parts with in the motor he would of never caught the chipped and cracked pistons and blown turbo. What this JDM place suggested was that he should have put in the motor and started it while on video to have proof but as easy as they made it seem I'm for sure they would have came up with something after the fact even with a video. But they cover there asses pretty well so just be on your toes.
I had the same problem, one of the pistons was chipped and cracked due to their poor quality rebuilt. That piston melted after a week.

Quick Reply: JDM engine depot in Kearny