New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

How do you workout?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question, I dunno how i forgot this but, just to make sure is it better to do cardio before or after working out, or it doesn't matter?

i use to do it after i worked out but i would feel that it would burn muscle
and if i did it before i wouldn't have enough strength to lift.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 AM

i've heard so many different things

i've read that cardio before will give you less strength and size gains because youre burning your calories before you lift so you wont be able to work as hard and i've heard of people doing it as a warm up

I think its just easier to have a cardio day
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 AM

i wish i can just have a cardio day. but i have to run at least 5 times a week to get back in shape. but i just wanna lose the fat and get my muscles cut and strength up.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 AM

I do a pretty simple "home workout" but I'm happy with my results. I started a couple of years ago at 127 lbs and I'm 5'11". Now I'm at 155-160 and in pretty good shape. Here's what I do on an almost daily basis:

[Repeat all this 4 times]
20 pullups
20 pushups
15 dumbell curls using 25lbs each hand/arm
15-20 dips

I have stopped drinking soda and drink a lot of water now as well. I can usually eat whatever I want all the time and luckily it hasn't shown, but I've been trying to eat healthier. More meat/protein, and less sweets and carbs (unless I need to). I also change the workout slightly by doing "slow" reps every once in a while and doing that, I end up doing less reps than what's stated above.

It's cold now here in NJ, but when it was warm, I would try to ride my bike between 8-11 miles (pretty strenuous mountain biking) every day after work, or at least every other day. On the weekend, I would ride too, but might skip my workout. Now that it's cold and dark very early, I ride only on weekends. I do have my winter riding gear, so it's okay.

I do most of my workout using this thing I got from Dick's Sporting Goods called the "Power Tower". My goal is to get very good at maneuvering my own body weight. I'm pretty good now, but I want to get better. I want to be able to do 30 pullups easy (I'm up to ~20-23 now, up dramatically from 5-8 a couple of months ago). I'm thinking of joining my work's gym since my home workout is getting a little bland, and I feel I'm at the limit of what my "Power Tower" can really do for me. Not sure I want to spend the money yet though...
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM

I do horizontal thrusts everyday honestly that's the only workout I get
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nytruco,Dec 9 2008, 10:37 AM
I have a question, I dunno how i forgot this but, just to make sure is it better to do cardio before or after working out, or it doesn't matter?

i use to do it after i worked out but i would feel that it would burn muscle
and if i did it before i wouldn't have enough strength to lift.
There are different opinions on this... some people even like to do fasted cardio the first thing in the morning, but I like to do cardio AFTER I lift. If I did it before then I wouldn't be able to lift hard enough, and at the end of the day I want to build mass/shape my body more than I want to be a runner so if I burn 50 cals less on the treadmill/bike because I'm doing it after I lift it really doesn't matter because I can manipulate my diet to make up for that.

BTW, if anyone cares I actually switched up my entire workout starting this week. I have been working each muscle group once per week until total fatigue for the longest time, but now I switched it up to work every muscle group twice per week instead. So the frequency is doubled, but the overall work is the same (ie. I'm still doing 5 sets for back or chest during the week, but instead of doing 5 in one day I'm splitting it up into 3 and 2 on different days). My initial feelings are that this is way harder then I thought it was going to be. I never realized how hard it is to work biceps after doing back or to work triceps after working out chest... its REALLY hard, and I'm very use to doing lots of high volume, but this is a good thing that its challenging. I think I'm going to see some nice results from switching it up, but I'll keep you guys posted. Overall, I'm up 14lbs since I started my bulk. 6 more to go and then I can cut... yes!!!

BTW, joey, nice progress bro. Your traps look huge... mine are definitely lagging. I blame that largely on my gym sucking ass and I have to resort to using dumbbells or a smith machine for strugs, which blows.