New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Honda FTW

Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda FTW

Let me start out by saying that I am a Honda enthusiast to the degree that this is my fourth Honda/Acura car (past: '96 Civic hatch w/ full Type-R conversion, '00 S2000 and '98 Integra LS) plus I have had a Honda Moped (Express II), dirt bike (cr 125) and lawn mower. My deep love and loyalty to Honda was almost severed recently.

Here's my story:

So about a year ago (almost to the day) I leased a '10 Accord coupe from Phil (S2Legend) at Babylon Honda (I have ALWAYS had great experiences dealing with Phill and Babylon Honda, no complaints, I refer them to anyone and everyone). This past weekend water started pouring out of the dashboard on the passenger side and onto the carpets and floormats. My first though was A/C drain is clogged. So I figure since it's been only a year since I picked up the car and I'm well within my mileage (and Honda Manhasset is right on my way to work) I'd take it in and get it fixed under my warranty instead of getting my hands dirty. When I called the dealer and explained the symptoms and that I believed it was that the A/C drain was clogged, they said that it "should be covered under warranty." When I picked up the car, they charged me $57.03 to clear a clog in the A/C drain. Turns out that a "bumper to bumper warranty" doesn't cover clearing the a/c drain. I asked them why they didn't call me before they did anything because, based on all prior conversations, I was under the impression that this was a warranty job and wouldn't cost me a penny. Their response was that even if they didn't clear the clog they would have charged me $57.03 just to put it on the lift to diagnose this problem and they did me a "favor" by not charging extra to clear the clog. A "favor"??? What a load of bull. It's as easy as sticking a wire hanger or anything that fits up the drain hole at the bottom of the firewall and letting the water drain out. I would have done it myself had I known that it would cost me $$$ and it would have taken literally 15 minutes or less. I tried to fight them and talked/yelled at the service manager, but in the end I relented and paid those @$$ holes at Honda Manhasset then immediately placed a complaint with Honda America (corporate). I was very upset at this point, mostly at the stealership, but also with Honda, for this and a few other recent things (First they discontinue the NSX and S2000 and then stop building engines for F1; also 8th gen accords like mine have a problem with premature rear brake wear that Honda refuses to cover or make good on even after they settled a class action law suit about the matter. I had to change my rears at 22k miles which I did myself because I knew about the issue and that Honda wouldn't take care of it).

Anyway, I digress.

So a rep from Honda America calls me the next day and, after about a minute of me making the point that I was very unhappy, the rep says that they will reimburse me this one time and if it happens again that it won't be covered. That is all I wanted. Now Sammy is a happy camper again . Honda almost lost my loyalty over only $57.03; but, in the end they proved to be the kind of company that I love to deal with and I'm happy to buy their products (just never from Honda Manhasset).

Thanks for listening

-Sam-
Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda Manhasset sucks! I used to work there. A few of the guys are nice but most of them are douchey.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing it's a lease.

As much as I hate corporations sucking us working stiffs for every penny.. it seems like they just decided to appease you. I am sure there are signs up at the service station and the guy who took your car in should have explained that if it is not under warranty there will be a minimum lift charge. That's pretty standard stuff everywhere and most places will charge something in the range of 75 to 90 bucks. But .. I do understand your frustration. I hear that dealership is not the most honest one around.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealerships suck
/story
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have never paid, you didn't authorize it.