New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

High speed internet access options?

Old 09-22-2003, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High speed internet access options?

I have an opportunity to work from home one day a week. Currently I use a dial up modem for 'remote access' which is very slow. I need to bring down large powerpoint presentations, access databases, excel spreadsheets, etc., etc.

What are my high-speed options?

* According to the Verizon web-site, I do not have access to DSL.

* I currently have cablevision as my cable TV provider. Will digital cable give me high speed internet access?

* What is IO cable? I get at least one piece of junk mail from them a week.

Also, with the various options, what would be my 'overhead'? Would I need to run new lines in the house? Purchase additional hardware?

I live in Washington Township (Bergen County) if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance with your help.

Michael
Old 09-22-2003, 04:23 AM
Former Moderator

if you have cablevision just get the cable modem it's suppose to be faster then verizon DSL.

Most broadband for home will run in the $35 to $39 range depending on packages you get it with. The usually supply you with the broadband modem and you just need to have an ethernet card/port in your machine.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cable is WAY faster than DSL. If your a cablevision subscriber you get $10 of the 49 a month bill. Though now verizon and other dsl companies are offering great incentives to sign up. I believe cablevision is combating this with some good deals of there own. If you want dsl go to dslreports.com and you can find a cheaper alternative to Verizon.

IO is digital cable. IF you have optimum cable from cablevision you only have like 99 channels. IO gives you like 200 and its all digital quality with digital sound. The only difference between IO and satellite is that IO has on demand which you can watch certain HBO, Cinemax/ Showtime movies/shows whenever you want to. Also you can order from over 1000 movies on demand. Of course you pay out the ass for all this stuff and your still dealing with the cable company. I told cablevision to get lost and switched to satellite. Though I still use cablevision for internet access.

The best part about getting a cable modem is that if you have cable in your house already you dont have to run any new lines. Just plug in the modem to the cable and connect to your computer and your set.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Old 09-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NYMATT74
cable is WAY faster than DSL.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the input. Optimum Online is offering a six month intro rate + $25.00 amex check + free modem.

I'll have a friend run cable to my upstairs office and will be set.

Anything has to be faster than dialup.

Michael
Old 09-23-2003, 05:31 AM

Optimum offers 10 MB download. If you want FAST DSL you have to pay for it. The majority of DSL customers get between 300k and 700k a second. Anything above that your shelling out ridiculous amounts of money. The only positive side to DSL is that it is dedicated.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:26 AM

Member (Premium)

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally posted by turbo_pwr
if you have cablevision just get the cable modem it's suppose to be faster then verizon DSL.
I had thought that DSL vs. Cable depended on different factors:

DSL, dedicated line and the closer to the Central Office the faster the line (also requires a quiet phone line), the further away the slower it will be.

Cable is a shared line and the more active users there are, the slower it will be.

Is this not true?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:49 AM

Indeed DSL is a dedicated line and your distance from the local loop affects your download speed.

Cable is shared and the service can slow down if everyone in the neighborhood was on at the same time downloading some huge file but that has never been the case. Most of my friends including myself use cable and we have not seen any degredation of service. Our download speeds blow away anyone who is on DSL.

DSL offers different tiers for speed. Obviously the faster you want the more you pay but in the end the speeds are slower than cable.

Check DSL reports to see reviews on both services. Cablevisions internet service receives top honors. In average speed tests over the last seven days Cablevisions internet speed is ranked #4 while Verizon is #93. With DSL you MIGHT get a static IP which can be useful if you plan on hosting websites at your home.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:53 PM

My friend who has cable is always getting around 6-7mbit with cable.
And cable has better upload speeds from what i have heard and read.

And the question u also have to ask is.
How often does ur phone line crap out compared to cable??
If reliablity is a issue.

I find that i can reach my cable company quicker then phone company.

Just some of my opinions.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:10 PM

optimum online is one of the best cable broadband providers in the US. id take advantage of that. oh wait i did lol

Quick Reply: High speed internet access options?