New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

got into an accident...

Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got into an accident...

so I was coming from the holland and about to make a right turn onto 1/9 north, waiting at the light by the u-haul rental. I was in the left lane of the 2-lane right turn and started going when the light turns green.

next thing I know, out of nowhere a guy in an e36 328 clips me on the front left by the headlight. as far as I could tell on his car, his right rear rim was chipped. my left headight was nudged out of alignment and I think everything on my bumper will buff out. my left fender is totally done though. I obviously couldn't see him since the turn is a gradual curve to the right and he was in my blind spot. his right window wouldn't close so he had all this crumpled brown paper stuffed into the opening when he hit me. that's probably why he didn't see me either. no honk, nothing, just impact.

we traded insurance and no police reports were filled out. his insurance company, geico, already called me last night but I haven't called them back yet. I was hoping to get this done without insurance but he obviously didn't go that route. I have NJM so they'll probably drop me now since they are notorious for doing that with one accident.

16 years with a perfect driving record and then this happens. I'll be calling NJM today...any tips or advice you guys have is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

NJM isn't going to drop you for one accident...
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Feb 15 2010, 09:17 AM
NJM isn't going to drop you for one accident...
plus it wasnt your fault.. BMW guy's insurance company will be paying right?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 AM

yeah, they should be taking care of it. never gone through this whole hassle before though...I'd almost rather source a fender and fix it myself.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry H,Feb 15 2010, 11:39 AM
yeah, they should be taking care of it. never gone through this whole hassle before though...I'd almost rather source a fender and fix it myself.
thats not a bad idea.. if you can find one thats a good color match do it
Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Larry H,Feb 15 2010, 05:57 AM
geico, already called me last night but I haven't called them back yet. I was hoping to get this done without insurance but he obviously didn't go that route.
You shouldn't talk to his insurance company. Talk to yours only. If they call you, refer them to your agent. Make sure you mention everything that happened including that paper bag.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Anuj,Feb 15 2010, 03:56 PM
You shouldn't talk to his insurance company. Talk to yours only. If they call you, refer them to your agent. Make sure you mention everything that happened including that paper bag.
thanks Anuj...luckily I did exactly that.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 AM

w/o a police report, how has it been decided who's at fault? Did they already agree to fix your car?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM

if you are not at fault, you should never give out ur insurance information, if he was willing to accept responsibility for the accident, his information should have been sufficient.

I was involved in an accident, police report was filed and we never exchange insurance information. My insurance paid for the repair and then sued the other parties insurance(subrogation), took a couple of months to get back my deductible, but i had my car back within a week.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2slow2Bfurious,Feb 15 2010, 05:09 PM
if you are not at fault, you should never give out ur insurance information, if he was willing to accept responsibility for the accident, his information should have been sufficient.

I was involved in an accident, police report was filed and we never exchange insurance information. My insurance paid for the repair and then sued the other parties insurance(subrogation), took a couple of months to get back my deductible, but i had my car back within a week.
yeah, he wasn't willing to admit fault and I didn't feel like getting into a pissing match in the middle of the highway.

I spoke to NJM today and they'll be speaking to his insurance company directly.

Quick Reply: got into an accident...