New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Got caught driving with a suspended license

Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Got caught driving with a suspended license

Well the other day I was driving and got pulled over for having no front plate on. Then the cop took my id and scanned it and my license came up suspended. Guess there was an inspection ticket I forgot to pay from a while ago.
I payed the inspection ticket right away and the scaflow fee for the suspended license. The cop told me the ticket was only $80 but I know he was bs'ing me!
What am I looking at facing? I read it was a misdemeanor charge. Will I really face criminal charges? Do they usually get lessoned to a traffic violation? Do I really need a lawyer for this? Don't really want to spend a couple grand on one for this ticket.
Let me know what you all think about it.
Also got the no front plate ticket. How much do those run you?

Damn this car. I have been pulled over 12 times now since I have had the car (November '07)
Old 06-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really knock on wood but i havent been pulled over once in my s and ive had it for 3 years...poll anyone?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by S2SEXY,Jun 21 2008, 01:53 AM
really knock on wood but i havent been pulled over once in my s and ive had it for 3 years...poll anyone?
you just jinxed yourself
Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 AM

It is a criminal charge ... depending on what you do for a living (or what you want to do) it may or may not be that important for the future.

I can't go into details on a pubilc forum ... but you are welcome to PM me. Atty fees would not be nearly what you are assuming.

Eliot
Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2003s2k2003,Jun 21 2008, 01:49 AM
Well the other day I was driving and got pulled over for having no front plate on.
I should add that in past discussions it has been mentioned that the problem with not having a front plate is that it gives a reason for a driver to be stopped and scrutinized.

This is exactly the type of thing it can lead to.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:24 AM

I can try to lend some advice on this one, as I was "caught" with a suspended license about 2 times. Both times, it was due to me not paying a fine. Eventually, it went through the system and my license was suspended.

Each time, I was ticketed for driving while having a suspended license. When I went to court the first time, I explained that it was due to me forgetting/not paying a fine. The prosecutor may have been having a good day or something, but he told me that because of something simple like that, it's not worth me getting charged for that. It was reduced to a "Driving while unlicensed." That was a $250 I believe. That was several years ago.

At this point, he/someone mentioned to me that you can only be "charged" for Driving while Unlicensed" once or something like that. Or maybe once every 2 years? Defender may have more insight into that one.

Unfortunately, due to my own stupidity, I did not pay another fine and the same thing happened. But fortunately, in the same fashion as above, it was reduced to Driving While Unlicensed. They even warned me that the charge will automatically get reinstated to the original if they see that I had used that recently. I just said, "uhh, no I never had that." Stupid, I know, but it worked somehow. No troubles for the next many years.

So yeah, those were my immature days. I haven't been pulled over in many years. Hopefully this helps a bit. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 AM

misdemeanor summons = arrest with WPTA (written promise to appear)

its not a big deal. Yes, its an arrest but go get all your paperwork done (clear up your lic and all) go to court. present all the documents that you cleared up and 80-90% of the time it'll be reduced.

max amount i would say your gonna pay is like 260.. give or take..

operation without a valid drivers license in CT is $158.
Improper Display of marker plates is 96
Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yale972,Jun 21 2008, 11:41 AM
misdemeanor summons = arrest with WPTA (written promise to appear)

its not a big deal. Yes, its an arrest but go get all your paperwork done (clear up your lic and all) go to court. present all the documents that you cleared up and 80-90% of the time it'll be reduced.

max amount i would say your gonna pay is like 260.. give or take..

operation without a valid drivers license in CT is $158.
Improper Display of marker plates is 96
CT laws differ from NY and other states.

I would suggest getting a lawyer, it shouldn't be that expensive, just for peace of mind.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 PM

If you get a Lawyer for court I believe it ranges from 700-$1000. You can't blame anyone for getting pulled over 12x since Nov. Maybe you should just leave the plate on then.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My town really sucks. I get pulled over just to see if I have been drinking. only one speeding ticket too. Got out of all the rest of them, but they just pull me over first to check things out and then let me go.
Pretty scumbag police area. Got pulled over 3 times in one night where I live for "suspicious driving" Always let me go once they saw I was sober.
If it is really $1000 for a court lawyer I think I will pass on that and hope things get worked out. Way too much money for me to pay out right now.
The plate will be going back on. I had thought it was a ticket where if given one you had 24 hours to correct but I guess not.

Quick Reply: Got caught driving with a suspended license