New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Ebay -- I was almost ripped badly

Old 06-12-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay -- I was almost ripped badly

I bid on and won this auction :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4555228049

if the auction is no longer there it is because ebay finally pulled it.

It was for a Garmin GPS model 2660 . Auction ended at $920.00.

Right after it ended I got an email from a good deed doer who told me that he thought the auction was phony. He had looked at the seller's history and saw that inter-sales had been made a few times between three different screen names.

Here are a couple of quotes from what he sent me:

[QUOTE]I spend hours (i am kind of addicted) finding scam listings on ebay. My "specialty" is fnding ones that arent as obvious as most of them... like these ...

I happened to look in aviation today and that listing was the first one I saw.

Did you see the items that these jokers have already sold?
They keep doingit because it works.... every day there are hundreds of these deals on eBay.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:58 AM

that's up,
I use to search on ebay all the time but I stop because all the scams going on lately, and our for sale forum is heading the same way, I guess that why "only" member are allow to sale item now
but I'm sure people are gonna find the way to do it,
this people are always ahead of the game.......
Old 06-13-2005, 07:38 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got scammed and I'm still kicking myself about it.

I received an email last week that asked me to log into my eBay account to verify some information. On the email, it had my home address and it looked and smelled like it was from eBay.

I clicked the link in the email and logged into my eBay account and it looked real, then I noticed that they needed my CC information in order to verify my data. It even stated that my CC would not be charged, and that it was for verification purposes only. Right then and there a lightbulb flashed in my head. I remembered the whole PayPal scam from last year and immediately I knew I was ed.

I closed my browser and opened a new one and went straight to eBay. My password had been changed!! An hour later I received an email informing me that my listing for a 2004 Honda CBR has been posted successfully.

I immediately got onto eBay live help and they were able to verify my details and cancel the auction. I also was able to unlock my account and change my password details.

If you use eBay, I highly recommend installing their toolbar. Not only does it help you track your auctions, but it also verifies that the page you are going to is really an authentic eBay site.

Oh yeah, NEVER EVER click on a link in an email that takes you to a site where it asks you to input any information. Always take the long way around!

Hello, my name is Brian, and my eBay account was OverHauled.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

never click on link in e-mail is right unless you were expecting that e-mail such as account activation or something.

i had few phishing e-mail for paypal acct. I was able to tell because when I put mouse pointer over the link, it'd show ip address instead of paypal.com on status bar.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:40 PM

Brian, I received the same Email but for some reason it looked funny and I didnt do it, and a few days later my coworked got the same email and she got