New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

claiming insurance

Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default claiming insurance

hi everyone,

so i've never had to claim insurance for an accident and i'm a bit lost. i know i can take it to a place and have them make the repairs and they'll take care of it with the insurance company but what if i just want the money for the parts and labor and i take it to my own place? (my thinking being that i can find the parts cheaper used on my own and maybe i can save a little bit of the insurance money.) does that make sense?

also, does it matter when i file the claim? it happened the day before i went away on a trip so i wont' be able to do it until i get back.

basically i spun out and cracked the front and back bumpers, maybe need a new headlight and fender. can i also claim for an aftermarket wheel?

thanks for any advice. i hope everyone had a good holiday and new year's. and careful on those cold tires!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

Call your insurance. You need to report ASAP. Look, take your registration, go on vacation and call them from there. They will send you the paperwork and you can do that when you come back from your trip.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM

you can call in a claim anytime, but it is better to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. When you call it in, just ask to have a field appraiser come out and look at it. The insurance company will try and get you to go to one of their direct repair shops, but as long as you insist that someone comes out to look at the car they will send someone out. The appraiser will come to your home/work, look at the damage, and write the estimate on the spot. Once you have that you can get it fixed where you'd like and however you'd like. Just a word of warning a field estimate most of the time is written real light and most shops require a supplement (additional parts and labor) once repairs are started. As far as the aftermarkety wheel goes, unless you told the insurance company about it then no it's not covered. If the wheel needs to be replaced they will pay you for an OEM wheel.

If you have any question feel free to PM me, I work as a field appraiser for a major auto insurance company, so I can help you out so you don't get screwed.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:44 AM

thanks for the advice. i may pm you bobushka