New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Changes to Track Night Convertible Policy

Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Changes to Track Night Convertible Policy

Hi all,

I just received this note from Track Nights regarding our vehicles:

Good Afternoon,
It was recently brought to our attention that the Track Night convertible policy is in need of clarification and updating. Effective immediately, the new policy will be:
It is highly recommended that all convertible vehicles be equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules. However, convertible vehicles may participate in Track Night events provided the vehicle meets at least on of the following criteria and is not subject to any of the below exceptions:
- The vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules.
- The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection (examples of manufacture documented roll over protection would include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frames and factory installed roll bars and/or “pop-up” bars that are designated as roll over protection.
- The Vehicle is a 2006-year model or newer.
Exceptions: In addition, vehicles that were manufactured since 2006 that fall into any of the below categories must meet the criteria stated above for factory or aftermarket roll over protection:
- Vehicles equipped with factory V8 or forced induction engine
- Vehicles modified meaningfully beyond the factory performance potential (examples: engine swaps, aftermarket forced induction)
We at Track Night would like to remind that the participant is responsible for the inspection and eligibility of his/her vehicle. We are happy to answer questions and make suggestions. However, we urge anyone who is currently, or planning to participate in a Track Night event in a convertible vehicle without an aftermarket roll bar to research and confirm the manufactures position on the safety features put in place from the factory.
Please note that the policy change also effects vehicles that were build prior to 2006 that were previously participating with a hard top, but without a bar. Vehicles in this configuration will no longer be eligible. Anyone who is registered in such a configuration is eligible for a full refund and may initiate the process by replying to this email. We apologize for any frustration this may cause.
Finally, we would like to underline the appropriateness of roll bars in vehicles driven on track. While there are other criteria that will allow participation, an aftermarket, approved bar is the best and preferred configuration.
For more information on roll bars, their specifications and applications we recommend contacting Track Night Technical Partner, Autopower Industries or visiting their website at http://www.autopowerindustries.com/
If you have questions, please feel free to ask.
Looking Forward,
-h
--
Heyward Wagner
Director of Experiential Programs
www.SCCA.com
Old 05-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

That pretty much mirrors what is said here:

http://www.tracknigh...gistrations/new
  1. It is a factory T-Top or Targa-Top
  2. It has a factory rollover protection system, defined as factory roll bar(s), pop up rollover protection, and/or reinforced a-pillars specifically designed to provide rollover protection. Not sure? Consult your owners manual to determine what your vehicle is equipped with.
  3. It has a factory hard top
  4. It has at least a four-point roll bar that meets or exceeds the roll bar requirements found in the SCCA Time Trial Rul

If you own a stock S2000 and plan on running Pocono with SCCA TNiA you should be fine. There was a stock S2000 running there last week when I was there. NJMP might be a little more strict according to NJ State Laws.

Don't forget to use the code KONI2016 to save $25.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Your right Joe, NJ is worse with the rules

I'm still good with no rollbar, adobo power for the win
Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Tostones for everyone !!!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the email too. So the general consensus is that we should be OK for Pocono with factory equipment, correct?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by unclebobby
I got the email too. So the general consensus is that we should be OK for Pocono with factory equipment, correct?
YES!! When did you plan on going, June 14?

The S2000 has
reinforced a-pillars specifically designed to provide rollover protection.

Hat tip to Goldenfri:

http://news.honda.co...=20010220001302

S2000 COCKPIT SAFETY SYSTEMS
The driver's and passenger's SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) both use a new compact airbag that fits the S2000's small steering wheel and instrument panel. An optional dealer-installed airbag on/off switch will be available, with government approval.

The lower anchor points for the S2000's 3-point, auto-locking seat belts are at the side sill and seat. The upper anchor bolts to a bracket mounted directly on the S2000's rollbars.

The S2000 body and the highly rigid high X-bone frame's central tunnel, straight front and rear side members, side sills and floor frame are designed to form a strong three-point support structure that distributes loads evenly. The resulting body structure boasts the rigidity and passenger protection of a closed-top vehicle in full-frontal and rear impacts. Head-injury protection is built into the interior, and side-impact protection is built into the doors, door pads, side sills and floor of the cockpit.

Even though open-topped cars are exempted, the S2000 meets the federal standard for occupant protection in a rollover accident. The driver's and passenger's roll bars are made of 1.5-inch diameter high-strength steel pipe with a .080-inch wall thickness, and tie directly into the frame. Additional protection is provided by reinforced door pillars, windshield posts and the windshield frame.

In addition, the S2000 incorporates pedestrian injury-reducing technology in the form of collapsible hood hinges and windshield-wiper pivots, designed to help minimize the chances of head injury to a pedestrian in a collision.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sweet info Freq, yes I will be there on the 14th. From what I gather there's a handful of us attending.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by unclebobby
Sweet info Freq, yes I will be there on the 14th. From what I gather there's a handful of us attending.
Cool, I might try to make this one as well.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Originally Posted by unclebobby' timestamp='1462911972' post='23962702
Cool, I might try to make this one as well.
I'll be there!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This morning I received an email from my neighbor that is a director for SCCA(lucky me ) and he said all S2000's are good to go. Even supercharged for Track Night In America. I'll see you boys in the ripe banana in June at Pocono!!

Just wanted to update this and make it offical.

Quick Reply: Changes to Track Night Convertible Policy