New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Bike riding in NYC

Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike riding in NYC

Today, I decided to take a trip into Manhattan to do some riding along the West Side Highway. I recently purchased a new road bike about 2 weeks ago, so I was itching to get some real riding in. Since the weather today was ~65 degrees, it was perfect. More commentary in the post below.

As some of you may have seen in my Philippine picture threads, I'm a picture whore, so I take pics of everything. Pics are taken by a Canon EOS XSi with an 18-55mm or 55-300mm kit lens. Hope you enjoy...

Central Park rider. Have no idea what happened with the focus. I was in a bad spot, so when riders crested the hill, I only had a split second to snap a pic. I didn't stick around there long.

Nothing special, I just really like huskies.

A leaf lulz.

Awww, family bike ride.

I included a few pictures of earlier in the week when I met a friend at the MET. We wanted to check out a few things inside.

This was the rooftop exhibit called Maelstrom. It was closing soon. Not really sure what it was, other than metal pipes welded together. Some of the ends went into the ground, into the bushes, and some actually connected to water pipes. Weird!

View into Central Park from the rooftop.

Took a walk around the reservoir facing the sun, and then to the other side away from the sun.

Okay sorry, so here's when the bike ride actually started. I started from about Battery Park (where you take the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty) and started riding down the West Side Highway path. First picture stop was the USS Intrepid museum. I've only been in there twice. First time MANY years ago only a few weeks when it was permanently docked. Then with my ex gf a couple of years ago.

Bike is a 2008 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL2. Full carbon with Dura Ace components.

Well, I kept riding and a little ways down, I see a few people with camera phones taking pictures of something in a tree. I stopped to take a look.

Wait a second, what is that at his feet?

Mousey owned.

Continued towards the George Washington Bridge.

You can sorta see the under bridge part here. I went about 5 minutes past the GWB and then decided to turn around. It was ~18 miles at this point.

What better way to replenish your energy reserves than with a cheeseburger from a street vendor? It was so good.

It started to get darker now (about 4:30pm) and I headed back into Battery Park. Here you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Stopped to take pics of some kids skateboarding.

Well that concludes the bike ride for the day. Ended up with ~35 miles. I'm going to be doing another 60 tomorrow, but somewhere in NJ. No pics of that one since it's going to be just in residential areas near my home. Hope you enjoyed the pics!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Some great pics man, Nice bike too
Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 PM

amazing pics man
Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 AM

Awsome pics dude!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Thanks for the ride along.

Nicely done.

Hopping on my rail trail machine now to pick up some coffee.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks guys! I just finished a 55 mile ride in NJ today.

Anyway, on today's ride I only took a few pictures. Didn't feel like bringing my DSLR around since it was just boring old NJ. These pictures are on top of the new bridge connecting the Atlantic Highlands with the Sandy Hook area. This was my buddy Dimitri who came with me.

Here's me.

Here's the view towards Sea Bright, NJ. To the left is Sandy Hook beach.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

great pics, lovely bike. I've been looking for a new bike since my accident and the tarmac is at the top of my list. I've been going for some rides with andre, who is on this forum as well. We should get a few of the other riders on the boards and put some miles on the bikes before it snows.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great pics, it was a beautiful day for a ride!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

awesome pics. weather was great today.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always love reading your pic threads man. (the 2 phillipeans trips)
like the way it is narrated.

check out the bike thread in off topic

Quick Reply: Bike riding in NYC