New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Anyone in Law school, or planning to attend

Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Angry Anyone in Law school, or planning to attend

Hey Guys,

I'm back at school and am exploring all my options post bachelors degree. I'm very serious about applying to law school, and wondered if other people have recently applied or are currently going. I have been taking practice LSAT tests, with timed sections, going to open houses etc.. but wondered what other things people are doing to get prepared to apply. Also, what people are planning to do post law school and if they are working at the same time. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Law school is an option I've considered taking, but I am more leaning/interested in the policing route, as Im still a year or two off and not too sincere about the law school route I cant give much information as towards preparation although I can say..

Post law school..

Its all about the internships, the "who you knows" and the quality law school..

((A Fordham employer is more likely to hire another Fordham alumni just because they believe and are confident in their own education, its a name-brand thing like all education))
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

you go to fordham?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM

I'll be applying to law school in a year. I graduate in May and decided I would work for a year and have a bit of extra time to travel. The LSAT is huge, so I would study for that as much as possible. Once you've taken the LSAT, you'll have a great idea as to where you can get in. If you're still able to, I would retake professors that you have some rapport with. Recommendations are a vital element in admissions. If I recall correctly, you also have extensive work experience, which will be very helpful.

Post law school, the plan is obviously to become an attorney and to begin work for a firm here.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Oct 22 2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm back at school and am exploring all my options post bachelors degree. I'm very serious about applying to law school, and wondered if other people have recently applied or are currently going. I have been taking practice LSAT tests, with timed sections, going to open houses etc.. but wondered what other things people are doing to get prepared to apply. Also, what people are planning to do post law school and if they are working at the same time. Any insight would be appreciated.
Hey jon whats your undergrad major in? im currently a legal studies major. Expected graduation date of Dec. 2010. Im taking June Lsats if i feel comfortable with my scores at that point if im not im going to take september. Remember getting in apps earlier in the cycle is much better. Also idk where you want to go to law school im going for the T-14. The worst i will settle for is BU, BC, and Fordham. IDK what kind of law your interested in but if you want to get into BIGlaw in NYC its hard to do that without a top 30 or so schools unless your in the top 10% of your class in a lower tier school.

Also since i graduate early and will around 8 months or so before law school ill be getting a legal assistant or paralegal job for that amount of time. its not to hard coming with a legal studies degree.

LSAT is EVERYTHING. they say its up to 50% of your acceptance. 30% to your GPA. 20 % "softs" (aka job experience, recommendations, etc).

Post Law School

This all depends on where you place in your class honestly. I would go into law school with the goal of trying to gradaute top 25% and getting into BIGlaw if thats what your interested in. That is also where the $$$ is or was b4 this economy situation.

If you come out of a good school with good placement you can be starting anywhere from $80k-$160k. A friend of mine just graduated UCONN and was hired from his internship at Edible Arrangements for $80k strictly 40 hours a week for their in-house corporate law.

My goal is to either work in securities or banking law and then work for my friends hedge fund or my friends dad's firm (he's a partner). Personally id like to do banking law. Its a niche field in NY and is very stable.

I also am going to apply for JD/MBA programs. Handling MA/Acquisitions are very likely if you do this.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 PM

Also idk what your plans are for studying for lsats But id suggest taking Testmasters. Ive only heard amazing things about them, even from people who have taken testmasters after princeton review or kaplan.

ANYONE who is decently smart can do good on the LSAT. If you put the time in you can do it. I have a friend who just got his score back with a 171. He diag'ed six months ago at 142. Now most people say that impossible. This kid isnt some genius. He just literally for four straight months studied everyday.

Take as many lsat practices that you possibly can take. Id recommend sitting down and giving yourself an extra 10 minutes per section in the beginning and then slowly going down and down. And by the end you should be completing in with extra time.

Also start reading the economist and the wall street journal. Do reading exercises where you try to read the article as quick as possible while retaining the most information.

Lastly, the two weeks before your lsat you should be scoring pretty high on your lsats. Take into consideration most people get atleast 5 points lower then their practices. If your not ready DONT take it. Many top schools only want one lsat score. Most top schools average your scores. and relax on the test day. many people get nervous; etc and then do much worse then their potential. dont stress it out be confident in your practices and hope for the best
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by BD89,Oct 22 2009, 10:22 PM
Recommendations are a vital element in admissions. If I recall correctly, you also have extensive work experience, which will be very helpful.

Post law school, the plan is obviously to become an attorney and to begin work for a firm here.
Softs only help when your a Maybe/borderline applicant. Lsats and GPA alone will get you into a top law school. Work experience too is considered a soft. Not that big of a deal.

If you want to be a "guarantee" to get into a law school look at their median and 75th percentile GPA and LSAT score.

If your in the 75th percentile for both youll get in. thats your safety school.
If your in the median your most likely to get in. You'll get into most of these schools.
Under that its very hard to get in. Low Low chances.

If your a splitter (either good gpa n bad lsat or bad gpa n good lsat) its a little tougher to predict.

Good lsat + bad gpa is better then Good Gpa + bad lsat normally.

Generally you need a 3.4+ and a 165+ for a top 30.

also think about part time programs. they take an extra year but they have lesser requirements
Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 AM

I passed the NY bar in Feb/09 (graduated Dec/08) and currently work for a law office in lower Manhattan. Any specific question(s)?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 AM

YAY! Defender #2, 3, and 4.

Now Val's kids will be able to beat tickets too
Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Datsun350Z,Oct 23 2009, 06:28 AM
YAY! Defender #2, 3, and 4.

Now Val's kids will be able to beat tickets too

ahahahahahhah

if i ever change my mind and decide i want kids, im sure they are going to be maniacs behind the wheel.

runs in the family.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Law school, or planning to attend