New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Any issues with keeping FL registration and all?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Any issues with keeping FL registration and all?

I would like to keep my FL plates as there is no inspection what so ever and I do not need a front plate and not stickers on the windshield or anything.
Moving back to NY shortly and I never changed my license to a FL one so still have my NY license.
What are the issues with leaving the car registered and insured in FL still but having it in NY?
My insurance bills and all is done paperless so would not be getting mail or anything for it down there.
Never notified the DMV that I moved to FL either.
Any issues? If I get pulled over can I say I am living both places and that is why I have a NY license and car registered in FL?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pulling over no. Accidents and claims are a different story. If your insurance company has reason to believe you do not live in Florida anymore or has reason to believe you are using your Florida address for cheaper insurance theres a chance they can do a claim denial against you god forbid anything happens to your car.

IIRC, the insurance premium you pay for is where the car is garaged and is mostly driven and parked.

But hell everyone does it anyways.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok cool. So can I switch the insurance to NY and still keep the Fl registration then or anything? Just really want to keep the Fl no front plate and no inspections thing in NY.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can ask your insurance company if you can do that. But I am pretty sure you'll have to switch plates too.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003s2k2003,Dec 6 2009, 02:31 PM
Ok cool. So can I switch the insurance to NY and still keep the Fl registration then or anything? Just really want to keep the Fl no front plate and no inspections thing in NY.
no.. it would be great if it worked like that, register car in NY & pay Louisiana insurance prices
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I think I will try to keep the FL one for a while. Maybe pay for a 2 year registration when I move back there and see how it goes. Never changed anything in the DMV when I moved down to FL so everything is still for NY except registration and insurance and all.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been insured in Fl for 2 years with my NY license and have never had a problem. What i did was to let them know that 3 months out of the year i came to NY ( which is true), so if anything happens here it wouldnt be a problem... I already had an accident and had no problem with the claim.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok nice. Do you only come to NY for that long or just said that to get by? I think I will be fine. When registration runs out you can just do it online for FL and they will send up the new tags right?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my car is in ny most of the year the only way they could find out is with accidents
Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah would suck to get in an accident and then have them deny the claim. I think with a lawyer that wouldn't hold up though. Could say I am just visiting friends for a while or something. Can't tell how long you have been here and all.

Quick Reply: Any issues with keeping FL registration and all?