New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

angels on my back - Can't believe Engine Runs

Old 10-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default angels on my back - Can't believe Engine Runs

So I just drove 25+miles. As I was driving I smels rubber burning. Then I heard a noise, thought it might be my belt. Pulled over at a Gas Station to take a look and holly crap I had oil all over my engine bay. Turned off the car check the dip stick and nothing was showing. I had the car towed back home. When I got home I noticed a puddle of oil in my driveway. Drove back in the direction I had driven the car and there was a slight trail of oil with little puddles in the areas I stopped. So basically I was leaking a lot of oil for a 25+ mile drive. I am so crazy lucky that I didn't destroy my engine. Oh yea and the noise from the belt was because it was drenched in oil.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the reading on your oil pressure gauge?
My gauge saved my engine from oil starvation on at least 2 occasions.

where was it leaking from?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the return line for the turbo if your leaking that much oil.

happened to the guy i sold my car to lol
Old 10-18-2009, 05:22 AM

I dont know where the leak is comming from yet. I have to go into the city now, but when I come back I'm going to take a look.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Drain plug still in place? Probably related to your oil filter relocation. I'm sure you run a restrictor for your GT turbo so a ton of oil isn't going through the return line
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM

so yesterday morning I added a little oil and when I took the oil cap off I remember a black plastic ring comming off the oil cap. I put it back on and it seemed to fit on fine. I never saw that before, wondering if that may be the culprit. I don't want to start the car to try and see where it is. It sounds like Jeff will be able to take a look either tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning, so we should know more then.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that this is the cause, but thats another reason I don't want to do the relocation of the oil filter. MADjdm, you been ok with the oil filter in the stock location with the manifold?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:41 PM

So far so good - I don't foresee it being an issue at all. As a precaution I made a jacket for it and that seems to keep it isolated fairly well

Old 10-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by josserman,Oct 18 2009, 02:00 PM
so yesterday morning I added a little oil and when I took the oil cap off I remember a black plastic ring comming off the oil cap. I put it back on and it seemed to fit on fine. I never saw that before, wondering if that may be the culprit. I don't want to start the car to try and see where it is. It sounds like Jeff will be able to take a look either tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning, so we should know more then.
Did you notice if your oil fill cap is still there ? Where is that rubber ring that you said fell off ? That is a needed part and basically what seals that cap in place and Prevents oil from spraying all over the place. That rubber ring fits into the oil cap and sit flush where the threads of the oil cap end. If that isn't placed correctly back in place your oil fill cap wont seat properly and spin it self off. There was a TSB back in early 2001 because peoples oil fill caps where falling off . You need to make sure that oil fill cap is tight not just snug like on most cars. I'm sure its just something silly like that and no need to worry
Old 10-18-2009, 03:57 PM

The oil cap is still there. I don't think the ring was rubber, it seems it was plastic. I thought it was kind of wierd at the time too, cause it would make a lot of sense if it was rubber, I don't know. I may go out now and take another look. I typically make sure the cap is pretty tight.

Quick Reply: angels on my back - Can't believe Engine Runs