New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

ac issue

Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Old 08-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im stumped....cant find a leak anywhere. onlything that is strange to me is a have a small amount of a yellowish liquid on the underside of my hood (near the radiator ?)....not sure it its related....also tried the fuses they seem to be fine. this sucks....im like scared to bring it to honda as ive heard nothing but complaints....thoughts?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a leak you will need to recharge it again with dye and then look for it with a blue light
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

isn't there a diagnostic mode the A/C system does that will tell you what part of the system is at fault. Look in the Helms manual, it'll tell you how to get the system into the mode and tell you whats wrong. Something like holding the a/c button and recirc button when turning the car on. Look into it before you blindly search.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

pardon my lack of knowledge on this but would this be the valve to press on to see if freon comes out? (circled in red)

also great idea soulcoughing, sucks for me i have no helmes manual...
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes Jay thats the valve
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

ok so i caved in and took it to the stealership...

outcome:

theres a hole in the compressor the mechanic/tech brought me in the back to show me where the leak coming from. looks like a rock or something came through the front bumper and punctured it. then the quoted me upwards of $1200 to repair

needless to say i left...

so now my question is can i just buy a used compressor (in decent shape) maybe from a part out or wrecked car and swap it and fill her back up with the freon? anything else have to be replaced in the process? should i just bite the bullet and buy a brand new one?

any insight would be great...
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2jay,Aug 1 2009, 03:29 PM
im stumped....cant find a leak anywhere. onlything that is strange to me is a have a small amount of a yellowish liquid on the underside of my hood (near the radiator ?)....not sure it its related....also tried the fuses they seem to be fine. this sucks....im like scared to bring it to honda as ive heard nothing but complaints....thoughts?
That might be it. Some places charge the car with a special freon that it can be seen with a black light and amber glasses. It usually shows off a special color reflection. I am not 100% sure on the color though.

What ever you do take it to a realiable place. Some guys just toss freon in and send you on your way but that does not resolve the leak and you could be back the next day or next season depending on the leak. These temperatures make the cars hoses expland and once the car cools down it retracts. The leak could also be in several places. Talk to the guy before they do anything to get a good feel on how they will check your car to make sure your AC stays charged with freon.

A good way to do it is .. charge it up. Run the car for a hours with the AC on full blast and check for leaks with the aboved mentioned special freon. Good luck and I hope it turns out ok. Price should run you 100 for the recharge plus whatever leak needs to be repaired.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by s2jay,Aug 17 2009, 04:30 PM
ok so i caved in and took it to the stealership...

outcome:

theres a hole in the compressor the mechanic/tech brought me in the back to show me where the leak coming from. looks like a rock or something came through the front bumper and punctured it. then the quoted me upwards of $1200 to repair

needless to say i left...

so now my question is can i just buy a used compressor (in decent shape) maybe from a part out or wrecked car and swap it and fill her back up with the freon? anything else have to be replaced in the process? should i just bite the bullet and buy a brand new one?

any insight would be great...
you could go that route with a used compressor but I would suggest shopping around to see if anyone could garauntee the work for a certain time. Going the cheap route with the AC may result in more than the 1200 in the long run. I used to see that happen all the time when I ran a goodyear repair shop.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Aug 1 2009, 10:34 PM
isn't there a diagnostic mode the A/C system does that will tell you what part of the system is at fault. Look in the Helms manual, it'll tell you how to get the system into the mode and tell you whats wrong. Something like holding the a/c button and recirc button when turning the car on. Look into it before you blindly search.
Yes there is, I used to to try and find out what was wrong with my system -- turns out it just hadn't been run in a year so took some time to get moving again .

Regardless, the diagnosis system works

Quick Reply: ac issue