New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Is this 100% my fault?

Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this 100% my fault?

I was driving on a 30mph limit road covered by snow. It was 4pm. We're on the stonybrook rd. It's two lane road, so one lane for each way and sometimes there is a lane for left turn, but snow covered and can't see.

The Infinity was in front of me and I was in my jeep behind her. We're driving slowly.

She turned right turn signal on and moved to my 11 O'clock and I thought she's going to make a left turn because it was a three way intersection.

There was plenty of space on our right side. Usually people would slow down moving to right, not left.

Suddenly she turned right to go into her house and I couldn't stop and crashed. No one was hurt.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

In PA, anytime you rear-end someone you are at fault. Failure to maintain a safe distance.

Was this the S? Airbags deploy? edit: I have no comprehension skills

Good luck with the repairs regardless.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Your fault She even put her signal on. Pay attention in the snow, bro
Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by fivlemon
I was driving on a 30mph limit road covered by snow. It was 4pm. We're on the stonybrook rd. It's two lane road, so one lane for each way and sometimes there is a lane for left turn, but snow covered and can't see. The Infinity was in front of me and I was in my jeep behind her. We're driving slowly.She turned right turn signal on and moved to my 11 O'clock and I thought she's going to make a left turn because it was a three way intersection.There was plenty of space on our right side. Usually people would slow down moving to right, not left.Suddenly she turned right to go into her house and I couldn't stop and crashed. No one was hurt.
In NY state if you rear-end someone, it's your fault

Originally Posted by freq
In PA, anytime you rear-end someone you are at fault. Failure to maintain a safe distance.Was this the S? Airbags deploy? Good luck with the repairs regardless.
Na, he said he was in the jeep

Originally Posted by jst2878
Your fault She even put her signal on. Pay attention in the snow, bro
Smart ass, LOL
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jst2878
Your fault
X2
Levi

Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if most of us have had this almost happen.!

She thought or she had to swing wide to make the right turn and signaled she was making that right turn. You were following too close behind. Remember if someone just slams on their brakes in the middle of the road and you hit them it's your fault. Same thing here except you ignored her signal which is actually worse.

-- Chuck
Old 03-06-2015, 05:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Wouldn't surprise me if most of us have had this almost happen.!

She thought or she had to swing wide to make the right turn and signaled she was making that right turn. You were following too close behind. Remember if someone just slams on their brakes in the middle of the road and you hit them it's your fault. Same thing here except you ignored her signal which is actually worse.

-- Chuck

^^^ I agree, it is your fault...
Old 03-06-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

saw a chain reaction on the highay the other day. Someone stopped short and got rear ended by a range rover (their fault) but then someone crashed into the RR and someone into them.

I understand the rear ending following too close is your fault but in this case if I were following the RR at a safe distance and it came to a stop from 60 to zero in 10 feet because it hit something am I fault for hitting the RR?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, you're at fault. You may have been able to get away with partial negligence if you had video/photo proof that they swung left first, but the fact that you acknowledge they signaled means you're SOL.

Originally Posted by S2KNJ
saw a chain reaction on the highay the other day. Someone stopped short and got rear ended by a range rover (their fault) but then someone crashed into the RR and someone into them.

I understand the rear ending following too close is your fault but in this case if I were following the RR at a safe distance and it came to a stop from 60 to zero in 10 feet because it hit something am I fault for hitting the RR?
If the person following the Range couldn't stop in time then obviously they weren't at a safe distance. They should have known the Range was tailgating. It's your responsibility to maintain a proper lookout everywhere, not just 1 car ahead of you.

The way people drive in the tri-state area I always assume they are going to plow into something/someone and come to a dead stop.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Entirely your fault.

This is what goes through my mind with the scenario you describe.

It's snowing and I'm driving a Jeep- Need to take EXTRA caution because while Jeeps are great off road and very capable vehicles they tend to slide much further on slippery roads because of their weight and size. I have owned both a Cherokee and Wrangler and to be honest the S with snow tires handled better and stopped better than either one because of it's weight and low form factor.

Watching the signal turn on from the car in front of me and the direction the driver moved differed; It would alert me more because the signal did not coincide with the movement of the vehicle. I would instantly slow down and prepare for either direction of turn. Never assume what a driver ahead of you is going to do.

Take it as a lesson learned. Hope things work out for you.

Quick Reply: Is this 100% my fault?