New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

07 DBW F22 into 01 AP1

Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 DBW F22 into 01 AP1

As the title says, my friend and I are trying to swap this 07 F22 drivetrain into the AP1. We would like to keep as much of the F22 motor together.

Here she is !!!

After speaking with Jeff, I was advised to either find someone who might be able to make use of this drivetrain or use the short block only (which will put the rest of the motor to waste).

What do you guys think I should do? Please chime in.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

listen to jeff, he is right. no reason to swap all the dbw stuff into your ap1. too much work and no gains.

swap the old non-dbw stuff over to this motor and sell off the dbw parts.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Jun 17 2010, 12:04 PM
listen to jeff, he is right. no reason to swap all the dbw stuff into your ap1. too much work and no gains.

swap the old non-dbw stuff over to this motor and sell off the dbw parts.
thats what I did when I swapped an 06 motor into my 00, took about 4 hours with both motors on stands.

Sell the 06 sensors, trigger wheels & VC to someone who is doing a k pro install, you can get $200-300 for them
Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 AM

What do I do with 2 07 heads tho? lol
I ended up picking up Dave's (EternalLx) 07 head too.

Deception, did you really just use the short block?
You probably grabbed a new headgasket and studs too right?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 AM

leave the head on the block. the heads are the same.

you need to swap the intake mani, throttle body, valve cover and a few other parts.

then you can sell eternals head (or build it) and sell the 01 head off the blown motor if its still in good shape. sell the dbw parts too.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Jun 17 2010, 12:48 PM

you need to swap the intake mani, throttle body, valve cover and a few other parts.

then you can sell eternals head (or build it) and sell the 01 head off the blown motor if its still in good shape. sell the dbw parts too.
what he said

this is pretty much everything you need to do, taken from an email I sent to my friend explaining what we needed to do

--------------------------------

Here’s what we need to do to the AP2 Motor to make it work. All the parts & sensors we can take off my old motor

Both Motors - we need to remove the valve covers, oil pans, timing chain tensioners, 2 pulleys on the front covers, timing chain covers

Old motor

1. Remove intake manifold , fuel rail etc, this need to go on the new motor

2. Drop the oil pan, remove timing chain tensioner, remove crank pulley & another pulley, remove timing chain cover
Swap the 2 wire crank sensor & crank trigger wheel to the ’06 motor

3. remove valve cover, we will be using this on the 06 motor
Also need to take both trigger wheels from the back of the cams, and swap wheels to the 06 cams. These are reverse allen head bolts.
Have to keep them in the right orientation or timing will be off.

The '00-05 intake and exhaust cams both have 3 teeth trigger wheels. The '06 cams have one 3 teeth and one 5 teeth trigger wheel respectively.

Regarding the crank trigger wheel, the '00-05 has 12 teeth. The '06 has 13 and the teeth are different sizes.

New motor –

Swap over all the sensors etc., intake manifold, fuel rail etc

before we put the oil pan back on, need to drill & tap ½” hole in the girdle, I attched pics of the location & steps.
Will use a stainless steel ½” npt to -10an adapter, thread it into the girdle, use hondabond or RTV Ultra grey to seal it up, maybe JB weld. Cant tig weld the girdle & risk warping the block.

For sealing up the oil pain & timing chain cover, have to use hondabond or RTV ULTRA GREY, they don’t make gaskets for this stuff.

Then we swap my AP1 valve cover on, also install my intake manifold & injectors etc
The following users liked this post:
kos (01-10-2024)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Jun 17 2010, 09:48 AM

So the longblock and trans straight up with the AP1 ecu will get it to fire up?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM

yes, as long as you make it non-dbw its basically the same motor as the f20c.

follow what deception posted for parts to swap, minus tapping the oil pan since youre not boosted.

i didnt know about the cams part. very interesting.

also you will be using the ap1 engine wiring harness as well. intake manifold, injectors, fuel rail, throttle body, throttle cable, valve cover, etc.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM

Also, Jeff mentioned something about a CEL since i'm using the 07 head.
Any ideas what it's related to?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:29 PM

i dont think anyone in metro has done this swap on a stock motor and ecu. deception is boosted, so his aem ems will clear his cel's. i would listen to jeff and wait for bill to chime in too. also try looking in the main sections for more info. im sure people have done this swap on the forum.

Quick Reply: 07 DBW F22 into 01 AP1