New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

Moving to Santa Fe late Feb or early Mar

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Santa Fe late Feb or early Mar

'03 Sebring w/20K miles (my car--bought new), '07 MDX 4WD (wife's car), wife and I moving to Santa Fe in about six weeks from SoCal. (I didn't see any S2K's in Santa Fe--lots of Mazdas and some BMW roadsters and Porsches.)

I posted in Tire/Wheel forum here that I've got no idea what to do about tires during winter as I've lived in Calif. my whole life. I've got Hankook summer extreme tires on original wheels on my car now. Great in dry but not so good in rain and likely *awful* in snow or slush. Also, house we bought has very steep driveway out of it! Wondering a bit if taking S2000 to NM makes sense. (I'd likely swap for used Acura RDX w/4WD if not.) If I keep S2000, I'd like to get a set of used, original (16") wheels and put winter tires on them. Right idea vs. all season tires? I drive this car hard!

Anyway, hello. Adrian
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM

The thing about NM is that the weather is never consistent. One day it will have snow on the ground, then the next day it's all dried up and sunny outside. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to get winter tires, I just have normal tires on mine and I was drifting like crazy in the snow and ice (scary/fun) however, the driving conditions were only like this twice this year I think. Studded tires would be useless, get worn down super fast, sound like shit, and also add significant weight to your ride. But I'm from Alaska, so maybe the NM driving isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to others.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by RavenH
The thing about NM is that the weather is never consistent. One day it will have snow on the ground, then the next day it's all dried up and sunny outside. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to get winter tires, I just have normal tires on mine and I was drifting like crazy in the snow and ice (scary/fun) however, the driving conditions were only like this twice this year I think. Studded tires would be useless, get worn down super fast, sound like shit, and also add significant weight to your ride. But I'm from Alaska, so maybe the NM driving isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to others.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. By "normal" do you mean the summer tires that the car comes with from the factory?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM

RavenH you comparing ABQ weather patterns to SF patterns. SF gets a fair amount of snow in the winter months, well enough to consider winter tires IMHO. I think something like a set of Blizzaks would work very well for you. Maybe bring the S2k out here for one whole year and see if you can personally drive it comfortably in the snow you will undoubtedly get living in SF. Hopefully Brandon Jay chimes in as he is from SF and could give a better opinion. Either way welcome to NM and to this chapter of the forums. Enjoy your stay.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Craddy Guy,

If you want to pick up a set of AP1 wheels to use as winter wheels, just shoot me a PM when you get into town. I have 3 sets sitting around collecting dust from when I auto-xed my S2k in stock class.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think by the end of Feb or beginning of March you should be ok for the SF roads and weather. You might get hit a little bit with rain but shouldnt be too bad. I would recommend a winter tire for November-January for sure.

(or just beast it through all the weather conditions and cross your fingers some days. ive been doing this method in Albuquerque for 4 years now)