New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

Looking for stock catalytic converter

Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for stock catalytic converter

Guys just checking to see if anyone who has removed thier stock catalytic converter still has it around and is willing to part with it for some cash. It needs to be functional and not broken like mine is.

BACKGROUND:

My car has been running like crap on and off for the last several weeks. I had no CEL's but suspected sensors, fuel, or vacuum leak. I bought a new MAP and it seemed to make the problem a little better but it did not cure it. I bought a new fuel pump (walbro) and a pressure guage. I tapped my fuel rail and threaded the gauge in and the pump checks out fine. While I had the fuel rail out I decided to adjust my valves. A few valves were loose so I tightened them up.

When I put it all back together and I started my car the CEL came on. I disconnected the battery for a little while and reconnected it and re-started the car back up. Very shortly after starting the car up the light came back on. I dont have the a code reader so I had autozone pull the code. The code was P0141 secondary O2 sensor. Autozone actually sold me the primary sensor but when I looked up the code in my factory manual it turns out its really the secondary sensor thats bad. Autozones code chart was wrong. The two sensors are not the same so I need to take thisone back and hope they have the correct secondary one.

It turns out that the secondary O2 sensor is not needed to run the car. It only checks to see if the catalytic converter is working properly. If its not, it will turn on the CEL. Most likely anyone who has an complete aftermarket exhaust will have removed the stock cat and will be very familar with this sensors operation.

I removed my sensor this morning and it turns out that the honeycomb within the cat has came loose and destroyed the secondary O2 sensor. I had already looked around the forums lastnight and suspected that the cat had gone bad.

I'm hoping that the honeycomb is the cause of the car running like crap.

I could take the car to the dealer and have them determine if they will warranty it but I would prefer to not to have to drop off my car and worry about how it will driven without me in the car. I'd prefer to do it myself.

So........ Anyone have a functional cat with or without sensors?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Why not just get a test pipe with an O2 sim. make life easy on you.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 PM

umm let me ask paul for you Kevin i think he still might have his stock car or if not look in the for sale section i know that there were 2 stock cats for sale for pretty cheap!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one sitting in storage.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Thanks for asking and offering. I removed the cat and the car still ran like crap. I removed the Vortech timing contoller and now the car runs great. I just needed the O2 sensor to get the check engine light to go off. I ended up buying one off the main forum section. Its not too pretty. I wish it looked better. I hope the sensor in it works. I'm going to put it in tomorrow.

Ronnie, ya, but... the mecanical O2 sim. Dude do you have a paint shop going at your house? I still need to paint my front clip.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:07 AM

No I just have all the stuff needed, and know how to do it. I do all prep work here and then take it to a paint booth. I just rent the one on base. You being a different color will suck, but can be done on a different day. Whats the deal on the S/C? Cause if I don't get it from you, I am just going to start buying other stuff and keep it all motor. Just let me know. Lata bro.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 AM

the secondary o2 sensor doesnt really just check to see if the cat is working. its is there to verify it is working and then once the cat reaches operating temperature it puts the car into closed loop. closed loop leans your car out and doesnt cause it to run so rich all the time. my type r ran like poo with my secondary sensor unplugged without having a simulator on it. only time the car will run normal is at wot
Old 02-04-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ridestrt,Feb 3 2007, 08:35 AM
the secondary o2 sensor doesnt really just check to see if the cat is working. its is there to verify it is working and then once the cat reaches operating temperature it puts the car into closed loop. closed loop leans your car out and doesnt cause it to run so rich all the time. my type r ran like poo with my secondary sensor unplugged without having a simulator on it. only time the car will run normal is at wot
ridestrt, are you positive that this second sensor helps put the car in closed loop on the S2000? Was there a change in the smell of the exhaust with and without the simulator?

A lot of people are using just the mechanical O2 simulator on the S2000 and most of them say thier exhaust smells richer but I haven't heard anything about thier cars running bad at part throttle. I sold my wideband O2 with my last car so I can't check.

If your right about this, then people running the stock ECU and the mechanical O2 simulator are loosing potential part throttle closed loop performance!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM

yup 100 percent postive but i should be a little more clear, with the simulator the car THINKS the sensor is there. so it reads it as if its there and running good so it still hits closed loop(no CEL). there are of course guys who will just make a test pipe without a bung or their sensor will kill itself and they will just leave it thinking everything is fine. it really isnt THAT bad but it can make a difference.