New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

HELP. my car isn't running right.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. my car isn't running right.

so. to make a long story short, last month I was in Phoenix and my CEL came on. I took it to Autozone and had the guy read the code. I don't remember the EXACT codes he pulled, but I do remember it was cylinder 1, 2, & 3 misfire as well as random misfire code too. The guy gave me a list of things it could be and said it could possibly be altitude change and/or bad gas, so I reset the battery and the light went away and I didn't think anything of it. Fastforward 2,000 miles and it's back on as of 2 days ago. I have been meaning to take it back to autozone to see WTF is going on, but it went off again yesterday and most of today until tonight. Except this time the CEL is flashing and the car sputters at idle and throttle, and runs like crap. Obviously a misfire somewhere. I don't know if this is a small problem that I am just frustrated about, or if it's something major I should be concerned about. Keep in mind the car is bone stock, never been touched or modified and has 34,877 miles on it. I don't see any kind of black or white smoke or it doesn't sound like it's knocking so I PRAY it's nothing internal. I don't beat on the car AT ALL or even take it to redline or anything. It's just my daily driver. Only things that come to mind to check are are plugs, wires, o2 sensor, and injectors as well as do a compression test to double check that none of the cylinders are bad. I'll admit I do know a thing or two about cars and can tell you everything you need to know and more about evos, but s2000s and hondas are all new to me. I know nothing. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I WAS going to check the plugs tonight, but one of the bolts that holds the plastic cover over em stripped out and I can't seem to get it out. tried everything. So if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE help me out. thanks.
call me or shoot me a text too since I'll be at work most of the day tomorrow. 505-803-5086.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 PM

well i can read the code for you and even help you with the problem, its hard to say what it could be untill it gets looked at. no wires just coil's, do you have the stock air box in it?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id say pull the code and check what you said you would check and post the findings?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM

The car is bone stock down to the airbox and all. The more and more research I am doing, it can be as simple as coil packs, or as major as bent valves. but yeah that would be awesome if you could help me pinpoint the problem jason.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 PM

well ill be working on stuff at my moms house this weekend so you can call and come by.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM

well I work ALL weekend, but I'll see if we can coordinate schedules so you can look at it, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. Is it safe to drive it with the CEL blinking? everywhere I read, it says get it towed asap.

I'll probably just drive the evo and leave it parked in the garage until I can figure out what it is.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 PM

If it is blinking don't even start it.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM

I drove it straight home very slow and tried not to get too high in RPMs and put it in the garage. I don't have AAA so tow wasn't an option for me.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 PM

Raven is right... blinking CEL's are bad news usually. I'm assuming you have done all the normal things like checking oil levels, etc. Could be a MAP sensor issue or coil packs, but your mileage is pretty low for coil pack issues. I'd pull the MAP sensor and clean it, but you need to give us the exact codes so we can trouble shoot it properly.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 PM

yeah. I did all the necessary things. oil level was fine. very clean infact. gas cap was on tight. etc. I've only had the car 9 months and put ~13k miles on it. I know it's been ADULT owned and garaged it's whole life. The guy I bought it from was even afraid to take it to VTEC. lol. Let me see if I still have the papers from autozone with the codes that were pulled last month.

edit: I'll see if I can get one of my friends to let me borrow their OBDII tomorrow and check the plugs/coil packs/compression once I get that stupid bolt I stripped out off.

Quick Reply: HELP. my car isn't running right.