New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners
View Poll Results: When do you take the S2K off the road?
Never
20.00%
At a predetermined date, such as December 1st
6.67%
When the weather becomes winter-like
73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

When Do You Hibernate Your S2K?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Do You Hibernate Your S2K?

This being my first year with the S2k, I am thinking about storing the car for the "off season." Just wondering when you take yours off the road, if you do.

-jazzman
Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/885...#entry20828592

Take a look here. It was a thread made a while ago for how people store there cars.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

It's not quite winter, but the weather is getting cool. Nights are especially chilly. For us, top down time is about done for the season. It's time to put the S to bed. We leave it registered and fully insured. We have no garage, so we need insurance if a tree falls on it. We did drop collision on it for the winter one year, to save a few bucks, but now that the car is older, it's not really worth it.

Rick put it away today. It's now under cover, likely until late March, early April. However, if a warm day tempts us, and there is not too much crap on the road, we will take it out.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
It's not quite winter, but the weather is getting cool. Nights are especially chilly. For us, top down time is about done for the season. It's time to put the S to bed. We leave it registered and fully insured. We have no garage, so we need insurance if a tree falls on it. We did drop collision on it for the winter one year, to save a few bucks, but now that the car is older, it's not really worth it.

Rick put it away today. It's now under cover, likely until late March, early April. However, if a warm day tempts us, and there is not too much crap on the road, we will take it out.
Is there any purpose (Savings) for unregistering the car during the winter?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:56 AM

Mines been since the fawl crawl, lack of time and nice days. But I will be changing the oil, and getting the car ready Tuesday for it to hibernate.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM

I plan to take it off the road when the weather turns wintery. I will drop libility insurance, keeping fire, theft.
The top is up in the meantime, but I did hear that it will be in the 70s this week, so that can change.

-jazzman
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSunS2K
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1320609500' post='21133260

Is there any purpose (Savings) for unregistering the car during the winter?
Depending on where you store your vehicle, some folks removal all insurance, turn in the plates and get new plates in the spring. (You have to pay the new registration fee $80.00 or so?) In MA, you can't keep keep fire and theft on the car and cancel liability. If you don't plan on driving the vehicle, and want to save a few bucks, you can lower your liability limits for the winter, drop collision, keep fire and theft (comprehensive) and hang on to your plates. Just don't take off for a ride without calling your agent to re-instate your coverages. We have an additional policy that would not allow us to drop liability limits to a low level on any registered vehicle. The only way to save some $ was to remove collision. We might have done that once or twice since we had the car, but we don't bother now.

Before canceling all insurance, keep in mind, you can't do so if you have a bank lien on the vehicle, and your homeowners will not cover your vehicle if something happens to it while it's parked in your garage or storage.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is going away this coming Friday.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I don't hibernate it, I just sort of stop driving it.
although we're getting pretty close to that now.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:56 PM

As soon as I see salt/sand on the road it's going away.

Quick Reply: When Do You Hibernate Your S2K?