New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

what would you do

Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would you do

Okay, right now I work at a small automotive service shop in providence. I do tires,oil changes,batteries, altenators, alignments, and other basic maint. My girlfriends dad owns a small used car dealership that does service work-6 bays, rents out the back 3 bays. And 1 front does not have a lift, one of his (two) mechanics are leaving, and he wants me to work for him.
As of right now I do most of the work that he does, just do not do clutches, or any big jobs at my work now. His shop deals with foreign cars, ex: audi, bmw, mercedes,vw, etc... I do bigger work just on my own cars, so thats not a problem...the place im at now just doesnt want the liabilities of it. Okay so, I would be working for my g/fs dad who I have been with for over 2 years, he didnt originally want me to work for him because he doesnt want me to be a mechanic my whole like he wants me to do what I really want and eventually own my own dealership, and invest in real estate. It will be better hours, mon-fri 830 to 5, compared to the mon:830 to 6,tuesday 9 to 530, wed. and thurs, 9 to 5, and sat 830 to 5 that I am working now. I also HATE my job now, it is awful i have to do EVERYTHING! and get treated like shit. My g/fs fathers place is alot more easy going, get your work done no extra b.s, and I would care much more about his place than wehre I am now. He would also pay me equal to or more than I am currently getting.
What do you think I should do? What would you do if you were in this position?
Sorry for rambling on!
I am also pretty close with him.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never do business with friends and relatives
Old 04-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Well, if it means anything its like a family owned business, he owns it, his brother, and sister work with sales.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Is he offering you benefits? Health insurance, vacation pay?

Is his business busy? Can he offer you enough hours? Does his business have steady repeat customers?

Also keep in mind if your relationship with his daughter does not work out, it could be awkward.

If he will give you benefits, and he has the work for you, and you hate your job, I say make the move, but keep in mind, working for small business may have some flexibility, the benefits often sux.

IF I were to start over now, I would NOT spend my working life working for small businesses.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Benefits- I am 19, and go to school full time so I am still covered under my fathers policy until i am 23, but even If I wasnt he offers full coverage, I am not sure about paid vacation, but he did say vacation time.
Busy-Yes, He is pretty much all booked up everyday for the next 3 to 4 works right now, and is typically like that, he has alot of steady repeat customers.
He will give me 40 hrs a week which is the same i am doing now.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM

I thought about that, but my g/f and I are very open with eachother, we fight but not too much, so I say we have a healthy relationship and both have no intentions on not being together. I do understand your point though, and I am not worried about that.
And I def. no way am giong to work for someone for the rest of my life, I just work full time right now to pay my bills(car payment, Insurance,Cell phone, School) and put the rest of the money I make away to a savings acc. to fund my 1st bus. in a few years!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

If you make the move, be sure to have a clear understanding of what the deal is. Vacation, sick days, holidays, the whole bit.

Don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Yah def, right now I get one week paid sick time, and one week paid vaca. and alot of holidays off
Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go work for him you will have saturday off and we can get your dings fixed

Seriously you got good advice above and now below my post read it and decide what you want to do.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Chances are you won't be with this girl forever so be prepared to have to
find another job if/when you two break up because I'm sure it will become
very uncomfortable to work there, especially if you are the one that breaks
up with her.

Quick Reply: what would you do