New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

What did I sign myself up for...

Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What did I sign myself up for...

So I just agreed to do a Relay Sprint Triathlon mid-July with two friends of mine...we have a grand illusion that we would be competitive too but in reality we should place in the top 3... based on last years results and what we think we are capable of...

I will be heading up the swimming portion... I haven't swam swam in at least 8yrs and 40lbs heavier ... Already plan on swimming every other day starting Monday at my local Y... Thankfully it is only a 1/3 of a mile for the swim portion... goal is sub 11mins.... When I was swimming regularly I was swimming a mile or so a few times a week and was doing that in 29ish mins regularly... So we will see...

My friend Steve bikes pretty much everyday to work but doesn't ride competitively but his goal is 12.5 miles in 41mins, he is not nearly as confident in that time, though... Last time he was over confident in a race he lost a 100bux to a guy who never skated before in his life in a sprint from blue line to blue line, and he had skated all his life!

My other friend Derek will be doing the running leg, 3.1 miles, his goal is 20mins, but should be able to do a mid 18 if he does a lot of speed work. he would run sub 18's when he only raced 5ks in year's past...

Anyone else do Triathlons either individually or in relay format that could offer up some tips!?!?!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow man, that sounds like a blast. I can't offer any type of advice, but good luck!!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds fun!

I was swimming throughout my upbringing, swam at USC, then moved down to Florida. I used to sprint, but got into the open water swimming and triathlons. I've not done any relays, but gone as far as an open water 5k.

The main difference about open water swimming (presuming your relay will be open water) is the breathing and the site-ing. Getting back into swimming in a pool is good, but make sure you practice going the distance with having to lift your head up to see where you're going every couple strokes. When you breath you may have to lift your head a little further too, to get your mouth above the chop. And to prepare for the mass-starts practice swimming with your elbows out a little bit to protect your space and face from other swimmers' kicks and punches.

Find out what the water temperature will be, and make sure you're comfortable in that temperature, or have a wetsuit if neccesary. Good Luck and have fun!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Thanks Duff. I planned on swimming in the pool during the week and going to open water (the actual lake it is being held at) on the weekends. I am a bit on edge about the 'mass' start but will practice swimming with my elbows out for the start.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

I got nothing. We just do the stroll. I admire anyone who competes in that kind of thing.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Advise? Yea just enjoy yourself and try not to drown.Triathalons usually have two types of competitors, those who are dead serious dedicated to it 24/7 and those just out to see if they can finish it. In the case of a team tri you've only got one leg to be concerned with. I'm an ex bike racer and member of the Bay State Tri Team I can't swim for shit but I can manage 8 minute miles and can still average 25mph on the bike. Swimming is the toughest leg and that's your strong point so I wouldn't be too concerned. Good luck to you, maybe you'll get hooked on it and I'll see you someday at one of my events.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 PM

As an after thought, while I have no advise for you as a swimmer, for the bike portion if your friend doesn't have them already have him get some clip on aero bars. It's amazing what a difference they'll make. He should average 1 1/2 mph faster with them vs. stock drop bars.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a sprint tri last spring. It was one of the toughest things I've ever done. I really focused my training on the swim. I figured there was slim to no chance of dieing on the bike or run, but I might just drown on the swim! I did well and I enjoyed it. I'd recommend swimming in open water in your wetsuit as often as possible. That was my mistake. I had never put on a wetsuit until the day of the event. And I had never swam in open water either, except the rare excursion to the beach.

Pete
Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 AM

Scott, the event should be happening soon? How's the training coming along?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 AM

Hey Connie,

Not well actually. Swimming was fine and i wasnt to bad on time to start but I trained for a little over two weeks and it got to the point I was almost unable to walk the next day. My knee is not as strong enough for heavy swimming like I had hoped it was. I went and talked with my orthopedic doc and she gave me some additional strengthing routines but they aren't effective in the short time frame I had. My friends and I are discussing training for next summer though as we all are still interested in trying a few.

Thanks for following up!

Quick Reply: What did I sign myself up for...