New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Viper alarm...bestbuy install?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper alarm...bestbuy install?

So, I'm planning on getting an alarm for the S. Anyone using Viper alarms? Have you had good experiences with them?

I plan on getting this one <http://goo.gl/0LEza> from bestbuy b/c i have some gift cards. Its a 2-way system which I like the look of.

Once I do make the purchase, should I trust bestbuy to install it? I've never had them do any work before so i don't know what the work quality is like.

I'm very particular about my S as I'm sure everyone else is. I assume it can't be that difficult to do myself right?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 AM

Well I did alarms for 15 years. DEI /Viper is one of the top names out there and best with support if ever needed away from the original install shop.

Biggest things about alarms are install. Install is 99% of how well it will work. I see lots of chains just slap them in and I could just reach under the dash and unplug it or snip something because it is all visible under the dash. Always best to talk to the installer to see if he has answers to your questions. You should be able to tell if he has a clue or not.

Independent shops might be more money buy normally offer better quality of work and service. Sometimes you can find a great installer at a retail chain. But they normally try to get as much out the door as possible so quality suffers for quantity
Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 AM

Glad to hear its a good alarm.

thanks for the heads up. I think i'll look around and see if I can find a good installer in my area. It's worth the extra cash for a proper install job.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Scott says the viper is top notch and the install is importatnt. Sure some best buys have good installers but and this is a big but is the one your going to qualified and good. To me it's kinda like a game of Russian roulette. Is that a game you want to play.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt best buy prices usually an installed price? So it may not be worth it to purchase it there and take it somewhere else to install. I wouldnt take my S2K to best buy. I would be hesitant to take it to certain local places as well unless i knew of a few people that had good quality work done.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by YoG628,Nov 20 2010, 08:30 PM
isnt best buy prices usually an installed price? ...
That was not the case six years ago. Installation was an extra charge.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Where are you located? I can recommend an amazing installer in Westerly RI. I used to do installs about 10 years ago and worked with him. He was doing it long before me and now owns his own place. Much of his work is on top end cars.

Precision Electronics
25 Canal Street
Westerly, RI 02891
(401) 315-2350
Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Westerly is about 2 hours from me, but its worth the drive for a proper install. If you (or he) know of anyone in the Danbury, CT area that would be great. I was going to check out Sounds Incredible, its a small local installer.

I was also going to talk to best buy and see if they"ll lower the price if they don't install it. I just wanted to use up some gift cards I have.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 AM

i know sometimes people bash on turbooptions, but the owner of turbooptions has his own shop he shares with a couple other guys called Precision Fab, they are in Dracut. I can get you the adress if necessary. I know they do very good electronics installs, Alarms, remote starts, HIDs etc. I would reccomend them for the install if your looking for a very clean and professional job. They will be doing my Supra's alarm install on black friday because they are having a sale
Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

if you buy it from best buy and dont get it installed there youll just be wasting your money....basic install is included the only thing youll have to pay for is the immobilizer interface and the labor for them to install it.

Quick Reply: Viper alarm...bestbuy install?