New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Top down.....nice weather but.......

Old 10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Top down.....nice weather but.......

Well I found out after having Autozone pull the codes that I was getting miss fires on ALL CYLINDERS!!!!!!

So first I thought it was the map sensor but giving it a good whack over the past few days didn't help things any.

After they cleared the CEL I still had the studdering and bad idle. Car pulled decently enough and rev'ed fine.

I think now coil packs! Ok fine had that problem a long time ago figured it came back. Well pulled out the #2 coil and YICK IT LOOKED HORRIBLE!!!! Well then I went to take the spark plug out and didn't need the wrench!

Pulled it out and the little arm that hangs over the electrode is well.............GONE!

Luckily I picked up some spark plugs while at Autozone. Put them in and all seems ok now. My question now is could that thing have broken off and gotten out of the cylinder w/ out damage? Car seems to run and idle just fine now.

I definitly want to get a leak down and compression test done. Anybody local in CT have such things?

Your input as to what to watch out for etc is appreciated.

I ended up just buying some Bosch plugs but am going to get some GOOD ones ASAP. Any suggestions? The 55 bucks for OEM ones seems a little high any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah wow sorry Jim. Hope all is well.

hardtopguy.com sells 4 plugs for $64.14

I don't have any compression tools or anything but let me know if you need an extra hand or something. Isn't there that person Ken that works for Branfon. Give him a call.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:07 PM

Jim, I have a compression tester. You only need a leakdown test if the compression test yields bad results.

Also there is no replacement for good spark plugs.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Jim, does it look like it fell off, or it burnt off? There is a big difference. If it fell off, you are correct to get a compression test to look for damag. If it burnt off, you are probably running too lean and you need to have the A/F ratio addressed. Also, the electrical charge to the plug could be excessive for some reason. Was only one plug in this condition?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:58 PM

Ben had the same thing happen and his car was fine. I have pictures somewhere I can post them for you to compare if need be.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Oct 31 2004, 10:11 PM
Jim, does it look like it fell off, or it burnt off? There is a big difference. If it fell off, you are correct to get a compression test to look for damag. If it burnt off, you are probably running too lean and you need to have the A/F ratio addressed. Also, the electrical charge to the plug could be excessive for some reason. Was only one plug in this condition?
Looks like it broke off at the base. Definitely didn't burn off. Though things did look a little lean but my car is now back to stock(no VAFC) Only that #2 coil was in bad condition. I guess the spark had to discharge somewhere and it found a way! Definitly going to check my plugs for tightness in a few days. Glad it didn't back all the way out!!!!!

LUKE: I will want it!

DK: Yea if you could that would be cool.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn, Jim. Hope there's no damage to the piston/cylinder.

Guess you should've torqued those puppies during dyno day when you had the coils off.

Sorry to hear it.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Nov 1 2004, 01:25 PM
Damn, Jim. Hope there's no damage to the piston/cylinder.

Guess you should've torqued those puppies during dyno day when you had the coils off.

Sorry to hear it.
Your right................and they were fine with no signs of any issue at that point either. So it was only in the mean time that this happened.

Though car is happy now and running just fine. I still probably need to get some new spark plugs though.

I hear that NGK makes the OEM's and the #7's are the ones to get. Hopefully I can find a shop that has them.

Spending 8 bucks on plugs for the Bosch ones just doesn't make me feel good.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jim,

Good luck!

I scanned the spark plug TSB a while back. The Honda part number for the plugs is probably in there, if you choose to go that route:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=m...lbum&album=1821
Old 11-01-2004, 11:25 AM

PFR7G-11A for the NGKs

Quick Reply: Top down.....nice weather but.......