New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Tires

Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires

Ok, I need to get new rears and soon. I need them before noreaster. So that leaves me little time to order receive and mount I currently run a kumho supra 712 tire on all corners. Kumho discontinued the 712 and now they make another tire the kumho ecsta spt . Well here is my question. I do not need fronts just rears would it be ok to mix the 2 different types of tires. They are all directional performance tires from the same manufacturer. Or do i just chuck the good fronts "like new" i have now and buy all 4 of the ecsta spt's?

I do like kumho tires i have run them for 5 years now and im very happy with them for my style of driving. And they are cheap!

oh if anyone has 2 245/40/17 supra 712's with decent tread let me know. I need to buy some by the end of the day tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a technician I would say you should run all four of the same tire. The reason being that the front tires will have diffirent characteristics then the rears as in grip, alignment due to wear, tread life. My suggestion would be to buy four new tires and keep the original fronts as "just in case" tires if you happen to pop one or something along those lines. With that being said you can completly ignore anything I said and just throw two new rear tires on and see how the car feels. The mixmatching of them will not be a problem for state inspections. I personally like having four matching tires.

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Old 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BO(RED),Jul 30 2008, 03:43 PM
As a technician I would say you should run all four of the same tire. The reason being that the front tires will have diffirent characteristics then the rears as in grip, alignment due to wear, tread life. My suggestion would be to buy four new tires and keep the original fronts as "just in case" tires if you happen to pop one or something along those lines. With that being said you can completly ignore anything I said and just throw two new rear tires on and see how the car feels. The mixmatching of them will not be a problem for state inspections. I personally like having four matching tires.

just my 2 cents.
Thanks, that is also my thinking. Just want to hear what all of you guys think. My problem is I have 4 front tires and no rears. It sux having the fronts and not being able to use them but safety is tops to me, so if its not good to use them other than for a spare I wont.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to push the car at it's limits I would say 4. I personally would only run 4 matching tires, but that is my opinion.

Many many people on this site run mixed tires and I rarely hear a complaint about it.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM

Thanks Mike, somehow I just feel better with matching tires.

Now another question and it is between these 2 brands, unless someone has a set of 4 cheap to sell.

Sumitomo HTR Z III or Kumho Ecsta SPT both get very good reviews on tirerack website. The Sumitomo's are slightly cheaper.

If anyone here runs either of these pipe up i would like to hear what you think.

Dave
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Jul 30 2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks, that is also my thinking. Just want to hear what all of you guys think. My problem is I have 4 front tires and no rears. It sux having the fronts and not being able to use them but safety is tops to me, so if its not good to use them other than for a spare I wont.
i think the fronts will fit the 'Lude

i'd be willing to buy them
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Which model is newer? I'd get something that is a recent release so you can get a second set of rears in the future. If you get something at the end of its model life, you may run into this problem again.

ALSO, I find that the rears will not wear as fast if you get a good four wheel alignment. In my case, when the rears go, the fronts have about two thousand miles of life left in them. They do not look brand new.

Finally, did you call around different tire shops? Someone may have a pair of the rears in stock.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bass,Jul 30 2008, 03:57 PM
i think the fronts will fit the 'Lude

i'd be willing to buy them
call me
Old 07-30-2008, 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jul 30 2008, 04:05 PM] Which model is newer?

Quick Reply: Tires