New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Thoughts on installing a stock S radio

Old 10-18-2006, 03:16 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Thoughts on installing a stock S radio

My son has an old 1991 Civic with a POS radio in it. Thanks to club member Calvin (Jason), I have a nearly new 2002 S 2000 radio that would probably sound fine in a closed car. I note that it has a socket on the back. Can anyone recommend the best way to wire the stock S radio into a different car? Does sombody make the plug that fits the socket? Should I get it from Honda? I already posted this over in electronics, but it may not get much atention over there as it isn't a very exciting subject. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, maybe you can find someone who cut the car side plugs off when they installed their aftermarket radio. Then you can wire it using them to plug into your radio and then solder the wires from those plugs to your sons adapter/radio. I believe a variety of Honda radio plugs are the same in the same year range. Just like the ECU harness is the same on at least the Accord of the same years from what I remember about wiring my VAFC.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:53 AM

^Do folks do that? I figured they used some sort of adaptor so the aftermarket radio could plug into the S harness. If anyone has the car-side plug, please let me know.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll need a double harness - one from the factory civic harness ( civic plug to bare wires ) and one to the s2k radio ( bare wires and then the s2k plug)

it's really easy to put them together

let me dig around because i might have a harness from the s2ki radio

and then it's just a matter of going to walmart and buying the civic harness (ten bucks) and then soldering them up

this way it's all plug and play

(hope this makes sense)

I did this when i installed my 01 radio into the Mazda
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

These guys are all right on track. if you can get the harness your all set. Only problem is mounting it! 99.9% sure it will NOT mount nicely or even fit correctly.

This is why I am keeping all my old stereo stuff around so I can grandfather it to my kids. It's good stuff but really big but hey it's good power just some extra work and I can help install it.

I have a huge 450 watt CLEAN POWER amp that can run 2x 12" subs and make them POUND!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky,Oct 18 2006, 04:44 PM
This is why I am keeping all my old stereo stuff around so I can grandfather it to my kids. It's good stuff but really big but hey it's good power just some extra work and I can help install it.

I have a huge 450 watt CLEAN POWER amp that can run 2x 12" subs and make them POUND!
After you give them your stereo equipment they will know why Grandpa is deaf.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 PM

Thanks guys. Good point Jim. I'm not sure how well it fit in the hole in the dash, but he has an aftermarket thing in there now, so I have some hope.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Oct 18 2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys. Good point Jim. I'm not sure how well it fit in the hole in the dash, but he has an aftermarket thing in there now, so I have some hope.
Well in that case your probably ok as far as the face opening! It will fit right in there it's a standard DIN opening that the aftermarket and S2000 radio's fit in. Getting it to stay put is a whole nother issue.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky,Oct 19 2006, 08:59 AM
Well in that case your probably ok as far as the face opening! It will fit right in there it's a standard DIN opening that the aftermarket and S2000 radio's fit in. Getting it to stay put is a whole nother issue.
Yeah, you should see the thing he's got. It's one of those old slip mount systems that you can pull out and take with you when you leave the car. You don't just take the face plate, you slip out the entire radio cassette unit. It's probably a collector's item now.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then the s2k radio should slip right in without a problem - same set up i used on the mazda

i do have the s2k harness - let's plan for next Monday

also can you please ask Barbara for that awesome potatoe recipe

Quick Reply: Thoughts on installing a stock S radio