New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

For those who have experienced the dragon

Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who have experienced the dragon

Since the search option is not working i figure we may be able to start a list of the suggested car/trip perparation for driving the dragon. Maybe someone has a link that will help us get started. May as well plan ahead so that we can prep/buy supplies through the the winter and be ready for spring. This list should focus around questions like "what break pads/fluids are reccomened" and "what should i bring extra of like break pads/fluids/belts ect." Obviously, the drive is demanding and it helps to be prepared. Also there may be things that we as a group only need one of so if we volunteer to bring these items others dont. I know this is really early but us newbies will benifit from the info.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:18 PM

here is one link to start that may help us
http://www.minisonthedragon.com/
Old 12-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Besides anything you might bring on any car trip (this is no different than any long ride), I recommend the following:

-FRS radio (many people use them on the dragon and it can keep you out of trouble)

-Skype (or similar) capable wifi phone. There is no cell service in much of the area including the lodge, but they have great wifi)

-laptop (again, great wifi)

-Fill your tank before you leave the last populated area (I forget the name), the gas is VERY expensive on the dragon at the one station near the lodge and they don't like cars buying gas at Tail of the Dragon.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,028 Likes on 2,680 Posts

NASA grade diapers, just in case
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HARDtoTOP,Dec 3 2009, 08:49 PM
-Fill your tank before you leave the last populated area (I forget the name), the gas is VERY expensive on the dragon at the one station near the lodge and they don't like cars buying gas at Tail of the Dragon.
Not anymore. They put in a new station within 5 miles of the old gravel pit (now paved) that has good gas (non-watered) and it the same price as all other local towns.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 AM

Sweet!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM

BRAKES ... Good brakes are a must . I know a few guys here that have gone through a set of brakes on the Dragon .
Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dibi:

Brake pads can be OEM, but aggressive or race pads are recommended (I use HAWK HP-S now, switching to HP+ soon)
OEM brake fluid will boil on a run through the Dragon. I have had good luck with ATE super blue.
I bring extra brake pads with me (OEM front and rear for emergency)
2-3 quarts of oil depending on how bad you burn oil
Glass cleaner for the bugs
Sunblock
Ear plugs

Check your ego, someone will always be faster. This is one of the most important things you can do.

I'll write more as I remember them

Most importantly, be safe and have fun

-Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Radar and laser protection. Be cool as the police presence when I was there was intense.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newish performance tires - all-seasons won't cut it here. Get the absolute best you can afford - Dunlop D1 StarSpecs, RE-11, PS2, etc

HP+ or Carbotech XP8/6 pads (front/rear) are recommended. You will use them, a lot.

Tire pressure gauge - we'll check pressures at the "gravel" pit/Deal's Gap before the first run of each day (and periodically throughout the day as well). I'll definitely have one with me.

Before we leave, you'll want to do a full fluid change - oil, tranny, diff, brake, clutch and expect to do at least the oil, brake, and clutch when we get home.

Sunglasses are a must.

As Jeff stated, FRS radios are a necessity. Not only will we use them on the drive down, there is zero cell phone reception on the Dragon.

A GPS would be beneficial, but is not required. My first time there, a couple people had problems with their GPS units locking up from the twists,

A camera and mount could be beneficial as well. Your +1 will be flung around the cockpit too much to be taking steady shots

The guys with hardtops might want to either leave it at home or bring a thick blanket to rest the hardtop on at the house. The extra sensory perception allowed with the top down makes a huge difference.

And as Mike said: Keep the ego in check. It's not a race. And most importantly, keep it between the mustard and the mayo.

When we first get to the Dragon, we'll stop (either at the gravel pit or Deal's Gap) and have a quick safety meeting/vehicle check where we'll go over everything again.

Quick Reply: For those who have experienced the dragon