New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Teach me about TV's

Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teach me about TV's

So with the new house both the wife and I feel we need to finally upgrade our TV. Personally, I know little to nothing about them, hence I need some advice. What I do know: size 50-59" (we will be roughly 10ft from the tv) unless you feel differently. 1080p- 240hz(?) I need help on models additional info etc. This tv will be going into our living room and will be the primary tv for the house. I don't want to go crazy with price, maybe $1,500?? not sure. We watch Yankee games and mostly movies if that matters. It will be HD hooked up.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Samsung
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,683 Posts

well Josh since you'll be watching the Yankees, I'm not sure it's worth wasting the money on anything over 15"

just make sure it has enough HDMI ports going into it. i.e. cable box, blue ray, PC unless you plan on having a Home Theater upstream to do all of your switching.

I would stay away from the off brand units. they aren't supported as well for service later in life.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Best buy has no interest financing for purchases. Plasma aren't as good for rooms with lots of sunlight and emit lots of heat. Lcds are slightly better and LEDs the best for rooms that are bright. LEDs consume more energy than lcds. From what a gather plasma refresh rates are very food.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Do research! Don't let the salesman choose for you. When I ask for help at places like best buy they always go, "LED is the best, Plasma is the worst." "Plasma is old technology". Blah blah blah.

I personally feel that Plasma has better color and black levels and the best when working with viewing angles. I do recognize that LED's can be ultra thin and light weight.

But I believe when looking at a tv weight and thinness should be the least to worry about. Unless you plan on moving your tv around every other day, should it matter?

Make a pro and con list.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,683 Posts

From a reliability standpoint, I'd go with LED. the LED backlight should just run forever.
Plasma uses higher power levels on the drivers so hence run hotter.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/tele...lcdtvfacts.htm
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks all, after researching and reading up a bit it seems that I'll just go to as many stores and see what I like. I have plenty of time and will most likely wait for a sale.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM

i agree with RedsunS2K. Do your research and play around with all 3 types. I work for Best Buy and I have all 3 types of sets at home. The breakdown is simple

PLAMA - usually thicker frames. Heavier and most run hotter than their LED and LCD counterparts. Darker blacks with truer color hues. Glass screen (which WILL give you glare) and refresh rates of 600Hz (which if youre watching Blu-Rays will only benefit you. anything that is broadcast through cable/sat only runs 60Hz) Note that more plasmas are coming in thinner LED like casings. (Panasonic GT/VT series TVs)

LED - much brighter and showcase a much more defined image because of the diode size. Very thin and light. most are usually offered with glossy screens. (some glare) Refresh rates range between 60Hz - 240Hz. Usually give you that "soap opera" effect when pushing image refresh to 120Hz and 240Hz (CAN be turned off) Some LED TV have LCD displays. (most if not all LG TVs are LED-LCD)

LCD - Medium size casings (however like the plasmas come in thinner style as well) LCD displays have a matted finish to obscure light glare. can be used in any well or low lit room.

Bottom line, They're all great TV's. its more of a whats feels and looks better to you. Best Buy has a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee. so try them all out if you dont mind making the trips. As far as Brands if you like to know. in my professional and personal opinion. LED-samsung.. Plasma-Panasonic.. LCD- anyone is good.

hope this helps

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM

I've fallen in love with the Samsung Plasma's. My buddy has the one of the Panasonic VT plasma's and it looks stunning.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 AM

I have 1 of each 55" plasma, 42"LED, and 42" LCD. The Plasma by far has the best picture and watching games and movies that would be my choice once again. Look at insignia brand at best buy its there brand but it has 2 year warranty and is made by samsung best bang for the buck IMO

Quick Reply: Teach me about TV's