New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion exhaust question.

Old 12-27-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion exhaust question.

I was just quoted $623 from a local shop for one of these exhausts, how's that price and what are your opinions about it.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:41 PM

sounds like a good price but ask seriousrex i think thats the one that he has . the pipes are a little to big for my taste
Old 12-27-2002, 07:16 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally posted by Porsche951
I was just quoted $623 from a local shop for one of these exhausts, how's that price and what are your opinions about it.
No one can say I haven't tried to research S2000 exhausts. I have looked at all of the supplier's adds. I have read as many threads as I can find. I have posted two threads looking for verifiable information and owner's opinions. So far, after weeks of research, all I can conclude is:

1. No aftermarket exhaust will give you a noticable or verifiable HP increase. (some say it is noticeable in conjunction with other mods though, like header, cams, CAI and/or FI)

2. The major gain you can expect is reduced weight, but no more than 35 pounds (for nice, expensive Titanium systems, or cheaper, but louder single exhaust systems) and, in some cases, a lot less.

3. Many systems are just loud, or tinny, or both so try to listen to one first before you plunk down all that dough because it can be a costly experiment.

4. Many owners are unsatisfied with the system they buy and either get new ones or go back to stock, so you can get good deals on low mileage used systems on this site.

5. The "bolt on" systems are easy to install and you can do it yourself if you have the space and the tools.

6. Like all the "lower" priced systems, I have heard good and bad things about Tenabe, mostly related to the sound.

7. The low-priced Spugen seems to be as good as anything else in the price range you are considering, and may even be less money.

Good luck. I continue my search for the mythical system that reduces weight and offers increased power! It is a long, lonley road.

Happy Motoring.

Bill
Old 12-28-2002, 08:03 AM

From the pictures I've been able to find on the web, I have yet to see an exhaust system replacement with a tuning stub like the stock system has. This scares me as these replacements might introduce annoying resonances (like the old days when we just threw headers and glass-packs on every hot rod -- and you had to "drive ahead of the resonance"). Have you found any yet that include such evidence of true tuning?

I am thinking that just swapping out the back section might be a reasonable way to go -- as long as the mufflers are freer flowing and lighter weight than stock, and there is evidence of true tuning (e.g.: stub section).

I'm all ears!

Kind Regards, Chris
Old 12-28-2002, 09:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dying to spend the gift cert., eh?

If I am not mistaken, $623 is along the lower price range floating around for the Tanabe. So it is a decent price considering you are getting it from a retailer (w/ a gift cert.). Some less than honest retailers might have jacked up their price on everything for you since they already have your gift cert. money in hostage.

One thing to consider is whether the Tanabe is full-stainless. Your local shop or seriousrex should have an answer for that. From the comments that I read, it is quite loud. Its angled-out, big mufflers is an...well, acquired taste.

Another system worth considering is the Neuspeed. The new version (v.3) is full-stainless. Sounds throaty, nice clean look, approx. 35 lb vs. 50 lb stock...

As for singles, I like the Spoon.

Hope this helps a little bit...
Old 12-28-2002, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Yes it's full stainless. I picked it up this afternoon and am currently lying in the snow installing it. I'll let you know how I like it.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Lying in the snow and reaching over to his wireless laptop to chat.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:16 AM

Correction Pinky, my sons friend just came over picked up my S and took it over to the BMW Gallery in Norwell to install it for me.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:11 PM

Let me know how you like it, I love mine. Wouldn't trade it for any other exhaust. I wanted the Mugen, but not loud enough, then I anted the HKS, but its made of mild steel. If you like loud, you will love this exhaust.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:42 PM

Sireousrex,

I took it out for a spin a little while ago. I think mine is quieter than yours, mine is the Super Hyper Medallion I believe you have the RM? Mine is full stainless but has fairly large mufflers with a long tip. Sound is definitely louder than stock but not outrageous. Quieter than the Blitz my son runs on his WRX. I'm sure the sound will change a bit as it breaks in. Don't understand why exhausts do this but they always seem to require a brake in period. By the way the $623 I was quoted included tax, so Pro-Spec was actually selling it for $590. Pretty reasonable cash for a full stainless dual exhaust.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion exhaust question.