New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Stuff for sale on the New England board.

Old 01-11-2007 | 07:56 AM
20 Year Member

Default Stuff for sale on the New England board.

I remember when I first joined here. People posted stuff for sale at pretty fair prices. Used stuff was like half price, unless there was a good reason for it to be more. Plus, the seller usually offered to help install it on your car. Very cool. Cars were priced at or below private party sale price, and sometimes as low as wholesale. Commercial people would offer pretty good deals on new stuff and services, giving the New England folks nice discounts and weekend service. Non car related stuff was also priced low and was often posted as free for the asking. You never felt like someone was trying to get rich off of the membership.

Most of the "old timers" still operate that way. But lately, some of the newer folks have posted stuff at what I can only call "unfriendly" pricing. Now I can't stop any of you from trying to sell something for any price you want. It is a free country and a fairly free message board. But I can tell you how you are viewed when you ask 25%, 50% or even more above what things are typically sold for here between members (and in many cases, more than the market value for the item). First, you are seen as an outsider who wants to stay that way. Second, you as seen as selfish and third you are seen as someone who is sort of insulting the rest of us.

Believe it or not, the members here are pretty sharp. We know what stuff is really worth and if we don't, we know how to look it up. Even if we are not interested in the item for sale, many of us will check into it to see if you are being fair in your pricing. When we see you are trying to get above market price, we may post that the price is too high. We may make jokes about the item. I may start an auction (although I will do that sometimes even when the price is fair just to try and drum up interest for the seller). We try to keep it friendly, but the attempt to overcharge really doesn't go over too well.

I'm not asking any of you to give stuff away, just to try and think of this more as a community than a profit opportunity. If your really think you should get more than the market value for your product, you may want to think about putting it on Craigs list or e-bay instead of here.

These are just my thoughts and not the thoughts of the managment or the membership.
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:00 AM

100%
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:05 AM
20 Year Member

Completely agree!
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:10 AM

Bill's non-Legal Advice for FREE

Considering how much he charges for the legal stuff, thats a bargin! Take it.
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:16 AM

Old 01-11-2007 | 08:21 AM

Spot on Bill. I always try to give the best deal I can here. If I feel I need to make more on an item for whatever reason, I go to Ebay.

The word "community" is losing any real meaning and the local deals have gone with it. Sometimes, it is exactly the opposite, and I feel like people are attempting to "work over" people here even though most are considered friends.
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:23 AM

Strut bar for $25!
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:27 AM

I also tend to expect a better deal here locally that say in the main FS section. most of us have bought or sold locally and the price and "creative" shipping/pickup/delivery and installation help very often holds more value than you might realize. we also tend to expect quality and honesty of part condition. or tend to offer things up to friends we may have had no original intention of selling or consider a drastic friendly price reduction if a local had a reason othan than being cheap to deserve it.
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:29 AM

Neuspeed strut bar.. friggen sweet deal WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2007 | 08:33 AM

Bill,

I look around the board. Not a whole lot of people selling stuffs recently. With the exception of, of course, yours truely.

Just that you know, this is the first time I post a major sale post and the first time to list my car on the board.

Judging from the bidding you started in my thread, I think this thread is intended for me.

I think if you have any recommendation about my prices, please feel free talk to me. I promise I will keep an open mind.

Quick Reply: Stuff for sale on the New England board.