New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Speeding ticket in CT

Old 12-06-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket in CT

Well this morning while going to pick up the New S2k, I got caught speeding 80 on a 65 and it just ruined the day, I was on cruise control set at 80 but officer said he clocked me at 82, 85, and 86. He wrote down 85 on the ticket. This is my 2nd ticket and my last one was 5 years ago, so im really pissed because I was maintaining a clean record for such a long time and I really dont want this ticket to show up on my record. For the CT guys do you know anything about deferring it? What about contacting a lawyer? Anyone have any recommendations for a lawyer in CT? What other options do I have?

Thanks a lot guys

John
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 PM

I would fight it, most of the time, the prosecutor looks at the ticket, your record etc and determines what would be the next step. In most cases they throw the case out and give you a fine to pay (some kind of a donation). If that happens your off the hook, if not then your next step would be to get a lawyer($$).
Old 12-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Did you ask about the officer's gun for verification? Recently calibrated etc.? I'd argue for a lesser speeding violation, claiming that you were doing 74mph and you have an almost clean record. I don't think you will get off, but you never know. Worst case scenario, you pay the bill. Lawyer advice- most probably won't do much if you say you were speeding (at least that's the take I get from my father's firm).
Old 12-06-2006, 06:27 PM

You might be able to get it down to a lesser fine but not sure you'll be able to beat it.

BTW, where did you get caught?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 AM

btw, you can go to the police station (where the officer was from) and request the laser inspection and calibration report.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM

I assume a state trooper pulled you over which basically means you can fight it, but be ready for a battle that may easily last a few months. Contesting the ticket at the court date will probably knock the fine down but you CAN NOT get the points taken off at the courthouse. Unfortunately you are admitting to speeding which makes you guilty to the court. You can do a song and dance but if it says 65 and you were going only 70 mph -> you are speeding. It sucks, I hear you but that is what the court will say. If you want to plead not guilty or try your luck with the officer not showing up at the hearing then just know that my understanding is that you will win automatically if he/she doesn't make an appearrance but if they do and bring "recent" laser/radar gun calibration records you ARE SCREWED. You will pay for the full ticket plus court fees. I would plead guilty, talk to the prosecutor and make a deal. I also believe that the police can notify the court just before the appearance date to change it but you can not, which sucks if you got the ticket miles away from your home. Getting a ticket on a highway and having the local PD pull you over are two completely different scenarios. Bear in mind that it is the last quarter of the year, the state's got to meet quotas and they don't fool around with tickets. Good luck. Hope this helps. Hiro

PS I am not a lawyer.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info... I'll see what I can do
Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM

I have earmned a few speeding tickets here in CT. No matter what, check NOT GUILTY and send the ticket in. Then one of two things happens. If you are lucky it will get nollied, which is to say dismissed and you are done and clear. That actually happened to me twice. Most likely you will get a court date. In most CT towns, the officer does not have to show up in court. You will briefly expalin your case to a magistrate, not a judge. They have heard everything ten times so don't expect them to listen very long or be very sympathetic. For your range of speed they will probably offer a reduced fine, but I'm pretty sure you still get points on your license. They may offer a deal wher if you contribut to a charity there they waive the ticket.

In any case, plead not guilty and take a shot.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree...plead not guilty. However, for a safe bet I would hire a lawyer. They will get you processed faster and you WILL have a greater chance of beating the ticket. Most cops love court b/c it's 4 hours overtime...even if they spend 1 hour there! If you PM me, I can get you the number of a good lawyer.

BTW I am a cop

Bobby