New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

SCCA race at NHMS

Old 09-10-2012 | 09:48 AM
10 Year Member

Default SCCA race at NHMS

Raced the S2000 this past weekend at NHMS. We had a great weekend. I raced in EP and my son in SPU (Super Production Under (2.5L)), which is a catch all production class. This was my son's first time racing at NHMS, though he has 100's of laps at Lime Rock. On Saturday he started last and worked his way up, having a great start. He was running 1st in class for most of the race against a Porsche 944, but he missed a shift (hit 1st instead of 3rd going up the hill - ouch) and finished 2nd, though he set a class lap record.

In EP I qualified on the pole and went on to win our race. It started raining during my race and they checkered it early. We were all out there on dry tires - not much fun in the rain on slicks.

On Sunday for the qualifying race my son won and bettered his track lap record, down into the mid 1:14s - he went on to win the SPU race, dicing with A/S Mustangs and Camaros. He was drafting the bigger cars, so ohad help being pulled along. The Porsche was about 50 seconds behind by the end. I also won my qualifying race and my race on Sunday - leading every lap. There was not too much competition in EP on Sunday, with 2 cars having dropped out with mechanical problems before the race. I was as much as 3 seconds faster than the next EP car (an RX3).

The car ran flawlessly. Only issue was too much rear camber 3 degrees and I corded the inside of the rear tires during my Saturday race. Good thing it was checkered early. Joe
Old 09-10-2012 | 10:29 AM

Looks like you had a great weekend.

How difficult is it to join SCCA with a S2k vs another car? I've been contemplating this for a while. However, I'm not sure if I should buy another s2k and designate that as a track car or buy/build a Miata or civic hatch.
Old 09-10-2012 | 01:42 PM

Congrats to you and your son. Sounds like you two are the fast guys to learn from huh? Well done!
Old 09-10-2012 | 07:46 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
Looks like you had a great weekend.

How difficult is it to join SCCA with a S2k vs another car? I've been contemplating this for a while. However, I'm not sure if I should buy another s2k and designate that as a track car or buy/build a Miata or civic hatch.
it is easy to join SCCA. Fill out a form and pay the membership fee. If you are going to go road racing, you will need to attend and pass a driver's school or two. You can go to a commercial school, approved by SCCA, such as Skip Barber, or you can go to SCCA schools. Usually you need two SCCA schools, unless you have lots of track time and show it at the school. For an SCCA school you will need a car. You can rent one or bring your own. You will also need all your own safety gear. Car will need a current SCCA log book and pass an annual inspection.

S2000's can race in ITR or EP classes. ITR has less preparation, but still needs a cage. There are more ITR S2000s than EP. I have the only one that I have seen in EP in the northeast. There was an EP S2000 for sale recently, but it was incomplete and think it sold. There are a few ITR cars around. There are lots of Miatas racing and can be bought relatively cheap for a race car. The racing fields tend to be very full and with cars that are all similarly prepared there tend to be lots of crashing, hence the nick name Smash Miata, rather than Spec Miata.

For most people starting in racing it is better and cheaper to buy a ready to race car. That when when the build takes way longer than you want it too, you don't loose interest. You can also rent a ride, such as from Flatout motorsports, where you just show up and drive. Flatout also has an ITR S2000, but I think it is a customer car that Flatout maintains.

If you are interested in racing you can come to an SCCA race and volunteer to work a specialty, such as flagging (corner worker), grid, pit lane, tech inspection, timing, etc.. There is a race at Lime Rock in a couple of weeks. If interested I can get you more information. Joe