New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

S2000 Intake Manifold Spacer/Insulator

Old 02-10-2002, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

what you guys think about it... I am really interesting in buying this..!! to lower the intake temp..!!
Old 02-11-2002, 05:16 AM

I'm not sure the difference is worth the hassle - I'm also not convinced of the repeatibility of the results... The Mugen thermostat and radiator cap may do better... In fact, a hood scoop may work also.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference will be minor, if anything. Think about this, though...why do you think the intake manifold is getting so hot? Because heat from the rest of the engine block is transferring it there. The manifold is acting like a large heat sink...put that spacer in there and you've effectively removed the heat sink, which means the engine block will get hotter. Whether or not this will have any deliterious effects on the engine block I couldn't say, since we don't know how much hotter the block will get, but the manifold is a significantly-sized chunk of metal (i.e., heatsink).

OK, so you've kept the incoming air a few degrees cooler for another 6-8" of travel distance, but then it hits the block which is now many degrees hotter. Net effect? Minimal gains, at best!
Old 02-11-2002, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by demonderrick
http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/

what you guys think about it... I am really interesting in buying this..!! to lower the engine temp..!!
Why do you need to lower your engine temperature? Has your car ever even been on the track yet?

Stop wasting money on stuff like this, spend more of your lunch money on exterior cosmetic stuff that girls can clearly see instead!
Old 02-11-2002, 07:50 AM

I always thought that lower the engine temp will be better for the engine in the long run..! No? The reason why I am thinking about the vented hood is cuz I want it to lower the engine temp, and of course, CF look!!!! well, for $60, don't you guys think that is a cheap mod?
Old 02-11-2002, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by demonderrick
[B]I always thought that lower the engine temp will be better for the engine in the long run..!
Old 02-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Its 60 buck mod but do you even have a clue of the man hours needed to pull that intake manifold off?! Obviously not!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by demonderrick
[B]I always thought that lower the engine temp will be better for the engine in the long run..!
Old 02-11-2002, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]Its 60 buck mod but do you even have a clue of the man hours needed to pull that intake manifold off?!
Old 02-11-2002, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys seem to be pretty hard on this mod without fully understanding it. Surprising that a crowd that gets so excited about CAI's would pan the logical extension of the concept.

The object of this change is to reduce the intake air temperature (not the engine temperature). There are two reasons for this 1) cooler air is more dense and produces more power, and 2) the IAT sensor is in the intake manifold and when it senses higher temps it will retard the timing, dramatically reducing power. The intake manifold easily becomes a problem heatsink because 1) it is bolted to the head, and 2) because it circulates warmed coolant for extreme cold operation, and both of these things are altered with the gasket.

This mod is especially effective if you drive a lot when there is high ambient temperatures because of the power penalties for further intake warming (I guess there could be some negative drivability impact in extremely cold weather, but no reports that I know of). You are right, the change takes quite a few hours so it a good bang for the buck mod only if you are a reasonably competent mechanic.

I plan to do this when I can spare a full day for turning wrenches.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by cdelena

The object of this change is to reduce the intake air temperature (not the engine temperature).
I didn't bother checking the link since Derrick wanted opinions on something that will lower his engine temperature. I didn't realize the mod is for lowering intake air temperature instead. Sure, anytime you can lower intake air temperature in an internal combustion engine you will yield more horsepower given that you have enough fuel to mix it.

Blame Derrick for the mix up.

Quick Reply: S2000 Intake Manifold Spacer/Insulator