New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Resonator removal

Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator removal

I was reading a thread about removing the stock resonator from the exhaust system and replacing it with straight pipe. The result seems to be a bit of a beefier sound from the car for short money, which intrigues me. Any other kind of exhaust upgrade just isn't in the cards 'til the house is done.

Has anyone tried this? Are there any pitfalls? My biggest concern is that it will somehow screw me when inspection time rolls around in July.

Thanks, all.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:15 PM

I was wondering about the same thing. I've heard the "test" pipe makes a little bit of a difference in the sound. They range from $100.00. I've found a couple on line.. http://www.optionimports.com/s20004.html
I've haven't heard much about the resonator, though. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem like it'd be such a big deal to put the cat back on come inspection time...I know Lou's Custom Exhaust would probably put it on/take it off, for about $20.00. I don't know about tuning, though...
Old 05-25-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't do it.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,May 25 2007, 08:44 PM
Don't do it.
Bill, have you had a bad experience with this?

Oh, congrats on the NY work.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 PM

I installed mine last year. A number of other members have done the same. I might have picked up 5 or so horsepower by butt dyno, but I did lose almost 20lbs from the cat.
Noise- yes, the exhaust is a bit louder, but nothing that would get you into trouble. There is a smell factor, but if you're around cars a lot it's no biggie.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want sound just get an aem cai... BAD ASS SOUND!!!

and you wont have to worry about an inpection sticker.. test pipe = no inspection sticker
Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 PM

Invidia FTW!!!!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Bruce, sometime when you have a few hours I'll explain transmission line theory and termination characteristics but the short of it is DON"T DO IT.

think if the exhuast as a pipe on a pipe organ. pipes are tuned to a specific frequency( or rpm). generally you don't want a real high peak but smooth overall performance for better drivability. the resonator matches the exhaust characteristics over a wider performance band. you may gain a little horsepower at the upper end but give away a whole bunch of torque at the bottom.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There seems to be a small amount of confusion between the resonator and the cat. They are 2 different things.

The resonator-ectomy seem a cheap way to increase loudness and put a deeper tone. However, it is still a hack and I would not recommend it.

Removing the cat and installing a test pipe is another good way to make the exhaust sound more agresssive, but I'm not a fan of altering the emissions system.

If you cruise but would like a more agressive WOT sound....Bass is correct...an intake is the best solution and easily reversible.

I love my AEM, but knock-offs are available on Ebay for short coin.

Hey Riggs.......Lou's FTW! They did my custom exhaust 2 years ago that is now on Simplypiony's car.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:05 AM

Not sure on Mass. emissions, but I just passed here in CT last week with test pipe installed. All they do here is plug your ECU into a machine, if no codes flash you're ok.

Quick Reply: Resonator removal