New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Rear Speakers

Old 08-14-2001, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucid,

You're post makes it sounds like I did the install incorrectly. I created a new pigtail just like you did and actually installed it in my car on Saturday to see how the rears sounded. Then on Sunday, I unsoldered a few connections and wired up my mute circuit. I can't tell any difference in the sound quality with the mute circuit installed, than without so I know the mute circuit is not degrading the signal. BTW, I have Polk EX-602A in Front and EX-402A in the rear all powered by the stock headunit.

Is the stock deck underpowered? Very much so! The stock deck is simply incapable of delivering enough power to sufficiently drive speakers with the top down. Will I eventually replace it? Probably, just not right now. My goal was to install the rears AND have the mute button work! I achieved my goal.

My comment you are referring to simply stated my uncertainty of the bang for buck/hassle/etc costs. The seats simply block too much of the sound. Everybody has agreed to this. When I pull both seats all the way up, the sound is great! But, I can't drive like that. Furthermore, the person who I replied to was also inquiring about front speakers. I absolutely positively agree that upgrading them is a definite must. If you had to chose, go for the fronts! Components or coaxials, it doesn't matter.

My point is that everybody is jumping on the bandwagon about how great the rear speakers are. You have a created a wonderful following. I probably never would have though about trying to add rear speakers. My car sounds better for it and that I thank you! But, to say (not you, but others) that it
Old 08-14-2001, 02:20 PM

I've got an alternative rear speaker location that apparently nobody else has thought of or at least tried. HERE GOES - SPEAKERS IN THE ROLL BAR OPENINGS! I fabricated speaker boxes with two pieces of particle board sandwiched around the roll bar. I bevelled the particle board pieces and lined them with foam weather stripping for a good seal. I ran bolts through three speakers holes and the board pieces. I was able to fit Kenwood KFC XR500 speakers and the sound is greatly improved over my Alpine with just my Infinity Kappa speakers up front. I did install a resistor on the driver's side speaker to bring it within balance, since it's right behind my head. I bought textured black vinyl from a fabric store to cover the rear board and match the surrounding plastic. The speaker covers are too large to fit but I have both seats back so the fronts barely show. I did paint the front boards flat black. You can see the purple speakers faintly through the headrest screen. It was alot of work but it works well and looks pretty good. No seat blockage here.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:37 PM

please post a picture if you have one of the roll bar mounted speakers.

thanx

scott
Old 08-15-2001, 07:44 AM

Has anyone thought of or tried installing some small box/cube type speakers inside the rollbar, behind the headrest, as rear speakers ? I would think it would be a great place to balance out the sound. Any ideas ? Radio Shack use to make those rectangular Minimus speakers (granted we would want a better speaker) but something like that could work.