New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Rear Speakers

Old 08-11-2001, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers

Has anyone installed rear speakers? Others are claiming that they offer a great improvement in the sound but I am very skeptical about pushing air into the seat backs.

Has anyone done this and if so, can I please check it out?
Old 08-12-2001, 02:17 AM

How about just pushing non-directional sound into the seatbacks? ie subwoofers?
Old 08-13-2001, 05:22 AM

John,

I have an opinion on the rear speakers... but I am willing to discuss that off-line.

Have you heard my system lately? Very big improvement from stock... and no rear speakers or subwoofer... at least not yet for the subwoofer.

You are more than welcomed to demo my stereo... anytime. 0mph all the way to 100 mph if you want
Old 08-13-2001, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

It's obviously not something an 'audiophile' would do, but I don't see you as having your nose in the air about that sort of thing. Don't expect show-quality sound coming from speakers with seats as cover grills, but they are certainly going to extend the imaging stage. If you feel like too much of the sound is coming from your feet, I think the rear speakers would be most helpful in filling in some of the sound. I would do it myself, but at the moment, all four outputs are taken with fronts and bass shakers.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:53 AM

I am also interested in the rear speakers. It sounds like a cheap fix to improve the sound but it could be well worth it. I can remember the improvement that my $80 Alpines made... I was like WOW! I can actually hear the music at 60mph with the top down. I can also remember the look on my face when I pulled the OEM speakers out.

Old 08-13-2001, 11:21 AM

The sounds sucks from the rear speaker, even with the seats pulled away the magical "inch" everyone is talking about. Imaging IS improved on some songs. Others I can use the fader to switch b/t the front and rear and hear no discernable difference. It a big pain in the butt to do too. Am I glad I did it? Absolutely! Would I recommend my friends to do b/c it drastically improves the sound? No. If you want to improve the sounds. Upgrade your fronts! That makes a big difference. Components or coaxials, doesn't matter. Both are incredible!
Old 08-13-2001, 12:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dbkelly
[B]The sounds sucks from the rear speaker, even with the seats pulled away the magical "inch" everyone is talking about.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the input, guys!

dbkelly's response does answer my question.

I think I will pass on the rears and install either the Honda Kelton sub or Bass Shakers in the '02. The replacement speakers in my current S do not do it for me.

Dan,

You are right. I am not an audiophile when it come to mobile sound, however, my home system consists of Adcom separates, a Nakamichi Music Bank System, and Klipsch Forte II speakers. I just wish that my car sounded half as good as my family room does!
Old 08-14-2001, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by honda_s2k
I am not an audiophile when it come to mobile sound, however, my home system consists of Adcom separates, a Nakamichi Music Bank System, and Klipsch Forte II speakers. I just wish that my car sounded half as good as my family room does!
John,
You may not call yourself an audiophile... but that sound system you have in your family room is not an average system Very nice.

Upgrade of the current speakers in your doors, in addition of an amplifier or a high powered headunit will make a very large difference. The addition of Bass Shakers or the Kelton Sub or both... will make a larger difference.

If you need help with the installation... let me know!
Old 08-14-2001, 07:12 AM

DB has the 1st negative input on the rear speakers. The setup he did was of his own design. Anyone else who has used mine or done it themselves has said its a big improvement. I'm curious what variable didn't work out. The stock head underpowered for your taste, speaker choice or something else?

If you try to install ANY components or speakers which recommended RMS is high with the stock head unit they will not sound good. You'll need to add juice via amp or new head.

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers