New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Oil on spark plugs

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on spark plugs

It's time to do some routine maintenance on my S as I reached 75k miles the other day. So first thing first I have decided to change the plugs. I noticed some oil on the plugs. Particularly the third plug. (Standing on the passenger and staring at the plugs side - 1 2 3 4.)

I was reading up on it and someone said it's not bad as long as the oil is not on the electrode. I still would like to fix it though just so I can have peace of mind.

So what's the problem? Valve cover gasket?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+HEAD+COVER

The one on the far left is a new plug. The plug on the right was the plug # 3 and middle is # 4.

Which parts do I need to buy?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very easy fix. I'd be willing to do it for you if you live nearby. in my pic below they are #4. just buy 4 of them and do it altogether.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i just had same problem! on cyl 4 though... oil on top of plug when i was replacing my plugs, i JUST replaced those 4 VC seals couple days ago, along with a new valve cover set too...

NOTE: the 4 seals do NOT come with the valve cover set...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 AM

Ordered the parts. Fitzy thanks for the offer, but I want to replace them on my own just as for a learning experience. Any tips? Anything else to check while the valve cover is off?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmacedo
i just had same problem! on cyl 4 though... oil on top of plug when i was replacing my plugs, i JUST replaced those 4 VC seals couple days ago, along with a new valve cover set too...

You might have installed them wrong, when Billman did mine he said it was tricky. You don't full install them with the VC off, they seat themselves when the VC is placed back on.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM

actually when i put mine in i installed them fully then coated them in oil so they would go over the spark plug tubes easier. if you don't they will rip. learned from experience.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzyS2k
actually when i put mine in i installed them fully then coated them in oil so they would go over the spark plug tubes easier. if you don't they will rip. learned from experience.
Yupp me too when I was taking the cover on and off as it's tough to just put on straight due to some of the obstacles in the engine bay. It's like life you gotta lube it up to make things easier.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
It's like life you gotta lube it up to make things easier.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
Originally Posted by dmacedo' timestamp='1307374872' post='20653370

You might have installed them wrong, when Billman did mine he said it was tricky. You don't full install them with the VC off, they seat themselves when the VC is placed back on.
oh sorry, what i meant is i had oil on coil pack and top of plug so i decided to do the seals a few days ago... its all good now!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Ok, looks like I'm going to need help with this. I want to replace the seals, and while I'm at it do a valve adjustment. Anyone with experience able to help me? The reason why I want to adjust is because my s2k is feeling sluggish and I can't figure out why. Someone recommended that I had the valves adjusted.

PS. Obviously I will drive to you.

Quick Reply: Oil on spark plugs