New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

New Xbox Experience

Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EOE,Nov 23 2008, 05:20 PM
Cool! I haven't turned my Xbox on for ages. I will tonight! Can you guys tell me about this NETFLIX thing. So I pay 8$ a month and get unlimited streaming. What about HD?
unlimited HD streaming as well only a limited of movies though

and yes, get the package that says 1 dvd at a time and unlimited streaming movies.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daktruckie99,Nov 20 2008, 03:07 PM
Here's mine

Maybe I'll tackle this tonight.
Finally got around to this. Puff even sent me a message to let me know how long it had been since I logged on
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got around to renewing my NetFlix membership so I'm documenting here incase anyone is unfamiliar.

NetFlix on Xbox is pretty slick. I am doing the 8.99, one movie out at a time (unlimited) which means I'll probably get about 4-5 movies a month which I generally "archive" and watch later

Setup was easy. Download and Load the NetFlix option and it gives you a alpha numeric code on the screen. Go to the NetFlix website and type that in and boom, done. Instantly the playable content queue you have on the Netflix website is presented on the Xbox. Start picking things from the website that you want to "Add to queue" and within a a few seconds to a minute it appears on your Xbox as an option to watch.

I was pleasantly surprised with the content. On Xbox not all NetFlix content is available but there's a significant amount of Movies and TV shows. Multiple TV series sets: Heros, 30 Rock, Dr. Who, Coupling, etc are available. Really old stuff like Quantum Leap will probably be a trip down memory lane. History Channel and Nature shows and of course... Movies. Some pretty good picks from old Oscar winners and classics to movies like, Jackass 2.5.

Streaming content on my cable connection takes about 10-20 seconds to start before I start seeing a picture. All of the content I tried was standard def quality, they do have some HD but I didn't have a chance to try one. Hopefully the amount of HD content will continue to increase over time. Controls are simple as well, but if you fast forward and play again the re-buffering needs to occur and a minor wait is incurred so rewind-fast forward is kind of annoying. Watched 3-4 things last night and I did have one show drop out for an unknown reason and had to resume which was easy enough. Since I'd only been using it for a few hours I can't say if this was a fluke with the service or a blip in my own network connection.

If you don't already have service like this (for example, like Comcast's On-Demand) it's a nice addition. Granted you can do the streaming on a PC, but generally most people don't have a PC hooked to their TV in the livingroom. Between getting the movies in the mail and being able to watch shows on my Xbox the 8.99 price is great value IMHO.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review Kenta. I feel the same way about the Netflix on the 360. As for HD content. I have been watching The Office in HD and the load time is nearly identical as it is with the regular quality.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by kenta,Dec 8 2008, 02:19 PM
Finally got around to renewing my NetFlix membership so I'm documenting here incase anyone is unfamiliar.

NetFlix on Xbox is pretty slick. I am doing the 8.99, one movie out at a time (unlimited) which means I'll probably get about 4-5 movies a month which I generally "archive" and watch later

Setup was easy. Download and Load the NetFlix option and it gives you a alpha numeric code on the screen. Go to the NetFlix website and type that in and boom, done. Instantly the playable content queue you have on the Netflix website is presented on the Xbox. Start picking things from the website that you want to "Add to queue" and within a a few seconds to a minute it appears on your Xbox as an option to watch.

I was pleasantly surprised with the content. On Xbox not all NetFlix content is available but there's a significant amount of Movies and TV shows. Multiple TV series sets: Heros, 30 Rock, Dr. Who, Coupling, etc are available. Really old stuff like Quantum Leap will probably be a trip down memory lane. History Channel and Nature shows and of course... Movies. Some pretty good picks from old Oscar winners and classics to movies like, Jackass 2.5.

Streaming content on my cable connection takes about 10-20 seconds to start before I start seeing a picture. All of the content I tried was standard def quality, they do have some HD but I didn't have a chance to try one. Hopefully the amount of HD content will continue to increase over time. Controls are simple as well, but if you fast forward and play again the re-buffering needs to occur and a minor wait is incurred so rewind-fast forward is kind of annoying. Watched 3-4 things last night and I did have one show drop out for an unknown reason and had to resume which was easy enough. Since I'd only been using it for a few hours I can't say if this was a fluke with the service or a blip in my own network connection.

If you don't already have service like this (for example, like Comcast's On-Demand) it's a nice addition. Granted you can do the streaming on a PC, but generally most people don't have a TV in the livingroom. Between getting the movies in the mail and being able to watch shows on my Xbox the 8.99 price is great value IMHO.
nice review. i'm always on my xbox watching netflix movies i didn't return the 1 dvd they sent me yet i keep forgetting to watch it and send it back
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM

on the next dashboard update, we'll be able to watch netflix movies with other xbox users (even if they don't have netflix account).

s2ki xbox movie night anyone???

i suppose everyone could just get into a party and watch the same movie
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Fixed my " generally most people don't have a TV in the livingroom" to "generally most people don't have a PC hooked to their TV in the livingroom: which should make more sense

Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the Netflix reviews. I have been on the fence about it since I canceled my Blockbuster All Access several months ago.

So basically with Netflix on Xbox, you get unlimited viewing essentially? That's pretty sweet. Not that I watch a lot of TV outside of sports, but it would be awesome to have movies/shows on demand.

One of my concerns is whether my Comcast speed is fast enough for streaming HD content.

Do you need HD space for streaming video?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

No you click on shows youd like to view on their website then when you get in to your account on xbox the Shows or Movies are in there waiting to be played.

My Comcast in Cambridge broadcasts it just fine. For HD content go to www.speedtest.net
you need to get at the very least 5MBps to stream HD, I get about 15MBps in Cambridge.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Dimitry. That's excellent info. I'll check my speed at home tonight.

So hypothetically, you do get get unlimited viewing. Put a movie/show on your queue, watch it streaming immediately, take it off the queue afterward and on to the next. That's my understanding from reading about it, but I keep asking because it sounds too good to be true.

If I didn't watch sports, I'd canceled my cable TV and just watch off-air HD channels and Netflix instead. Hey, maybe this is something jt can do to cut his cable bill?

Quick Reply: New Xbox Experience