New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

New purchase in MA delivered out of state Help?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New purchase in MA delivered out of state Help?

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out here. My endless google searching is coming up blank.

I plan on purchasing a new car from a dealer in MA. The car will be delivered out of state. The dealer is saying I must pay the 5% MA sales tax. Is this correct? Another dealer is telling me it will be a "delivered" car and the MA sales tax is not collectable.

The problem is, I want the car from the dealer that is charging the MA sales tax. If I end up paying the 5% tax, is there any way for me to claim it later from the MA government?

Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no sales tax unless you register your car in ma
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Dec 2 2007, 01:13 PM
no sales tax unless you register your car in ma
I think I got screwed... the dealer charged the 5% tax. Is there any way I can get it back?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 AM

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg4.htm

sure file for an abatement at the Mass DMV

"If while a resident of another state your vehicle was either purchased and registered in that state for more than six (6) months or purchased in Massachusetts more than six (6) months ago but was delivered to you out of Massachusetts by the seller, you are exempt from paying Massachusetts sales tax"
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Dec 2 2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/reg4.htm

sure file for an abatement at the Mass DMV

"If while a resident of another state your vehicle was either purchased and registered in that state for more than six (6) months or purchased in Massachusetts more than six (6) months ago but was delivered to you out of Massachusetts by the seller, you are exempt from paying Massachusetts sales tax"
I read that - but it looks like that link is only for cars purchased in MA and registered out of state, then being brought back into MA to be plated and driven there. The additional issue here is I am registering the car in Canada ... so I can't file an abatement since I never file taxes in MA anyway.

I just called my dealers business office. They are a good dealer so I am hoping they will refund the "Tax & plates" charge. If not, I guess I will have to make a big stink about it ... although in my experience that rarely works
Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 AM

the way i see it (and hopefully Jeff will chime in)

you only pay sales tax when you register the car in MA - if you had the car deleivered in Canada then there is NO need for paying mass sales tax -
Old 12-02-2007, 11:42 AM

I bought my car in MA, they tried to charge me 5% tax. I told them otherwise and would gladly get my lawyer on the phone. They appologized and I left that day with my car. 48hrs later I went to the CT DMV and paid my 6% tax to CT.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by nzouk77,Dec 2 2007, 01:29 PM
I read that - but it looks like that link is only for cars purchased in MA and registered out of state, then being brought back into MA to be plated and driven there. The additional issue here is I am registering the car in Canada ... so I can't file an abatement since I never file taxes in MA anyway.

I just called my dealers business office. They are a good dealer so I am hoping they will refund the "Tax & plates" charge. If not, I guess I will have to make a big stink about it ... although in my experience that rarely works
Are you getting MA plates to use even temporarily? If so, then they(dealer) probably HAVE to charge the tax. Check out what Bass mentioned about filing for an abatement through the Registry of Motor vehicles.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Who's the rip-off dealer?
I'd report him to the Better Business Bureau, the Attorney General's Office for Consumer Affairs and the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Dec 2 2007, 03:46 PM
Are you getting MA plates to use even temporarily? If so, then they(dealer) probably HAVE to charge the tax. Check out what Bass mentioned about filing for an abatement through the Registry of Motor vehicles.
No MA plates... I had it shipped to the boarder in Niagara Falls and plated in Canada where I also paid taxes.

My mistake was as I was in a rush to get the car (leaving on a business trip the next day) I went ahead and paid the 5% tax on the assumption that I would get a rebate in Canada... never happened.

Quick Reply: New purchase in MA delivered out of state Help?