New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Need / Want to go back to school.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need / Want to go back to school.

I'm almost 24 years old. I have currently have a decent paying job. I went to Wentworth Institute of Technology and majored in Computer Science / Information Systems. I completely hated what I was doing and couldn't stand to think that I would be writing programs for the rest of my life for a living. After my first year I just decided I would stop going and start working until I could figure out what I really wanted to do. That was about 5 years ago. I've just about finished paying off my loans for that one year I went to school for.

Me and my fiance, as well as my mother all work in the same place currently. My mother says I need to go back to school. If anything should ever happen to this company. Your entire family is going to be homeless. She's right. How can I start a marriage and kids like this?

So I've been researching over and over again different areas of study. But I can't come up with a decision on my major. I ask for opinions and always get that "Oh people who majored in this are making a lot of money", but I don't think the amount of money should have that much say in what I choose. Is there any job out there that make people wake up every morning and say "Sure can't wait to start my 8 hour shift today!" How can I overcome this problem? I don't want to make the wrong choice. I will just be stuck paying back loans.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 PM

I was in business for a number of years and then switched to education. I went back to school for my masters in 2005 and have been pretty happy teaching. I don't make as much as I used to, but have nice vacations with my family, roughly two months off during the summer, good benefits, and a retirement package to boot. I also get a bit extra by tutoring on the side. I find my job interesting and rewarding. Pay is dependent on district though.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM

I was looking about going into the Biotechnology field. I could see myself working in a laboratory. That is what I do now. I don't hate my job either.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,647 Posts

it can be hard to stumble into what you like to do. I think I went through about 6 majors before i found something I enjoy.
As you mature and settle into relationships ( observing your recent engagement) the things that challenge you change as well.

I will say don't pursue any position based solely on what you think will make money. The marketability changes up and down over time.
and nothing sucks more than being stuck in a position in a career you hate.
most any field that is drawing unusually high salaries today will be flooded in 5 years.

start with the basics, do you enjoy interacting with other people a lot or are you more solitary?
Do you handle pressure really well?
Do you like making incremental changes or are you a bold risk taker?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Robotics - If you are tech savvy and enjoy working with electronics / systems.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

At least you want to find something. That is half the battle. There are actually tests you can take to find out what you would be good at and what you would like to do. You might start there.

Also, don't limit yourself to a "job." Start your own business.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
At least you want to find something. That is half the battle. There are actually tests you can take to find out what you would be good at and what you would like to do. You might start there.

Also, don't limit yourself to a "job." Start your own business.

Yes, I would love to be my own boss.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM

I've decided. I applied to Worcester State University and Framingham State University in hopes to be a part time student majoring Biology. Hope I can juggle working full time and going to school part-time.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM

I was in your boat. Stopped 2 years during college to work. Went back decided to chase the money and went to law school. I took 130000 in loans from law school and quit being a lawyer after 4 years. I opened my own business and after 5 years of hard work now only work 20 hours a week and make more than I did when I was a lawyer. Every day I hang out with my 1 year old for a couple of hours then go for a ride in my car and then go to work. I enjoy what I do and I thank god everyday for allowing me to be so happy and stress free. I will never work for someone again.

If you really are interested in opening a business read, E-myth revisited, eat that frog and 4 hour work week. They are my favorite business books.