New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Need a volunteer to test out Toyo Proxes T1-S tires

Old 05-07-2002, 05:56 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a volunteer to test out Toyo Proxes T1-S tires

I just got these tires and would like to compare them against the S-02s. I never got a chance to drive on the stock S-02s so I'd appreciate if anyone would help me here. Ideally, it would be great to switch cars, but if you don't want me driving your car, I'll still let you drive mine and trust your opinion (you can also check out my recently upgraded sound system and see how much more clean bass I'm getting now with the top's well removed)

I have 3 more weeks in which I can still return these tires, any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I highly doubt the T1-S to have better maximum grip than the OEM SO-2's. The only thing it might be better may be performance in the rain and/or treadwear longevity.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:12 AM
mas

I definitely did not buy these tires for better than S02 performance. What I'd like to find out is what % of fun am I going to miss (if any) with these tires. How much of a compromise is this going to be? There's lot of opinion on this board on these tires but it's not decisive (almost 50/50). Most people got the wrong size tires (instead of 245/45 rear) to start with and then some of them compared the tires when they were brand new (which is not a good time to compare).

Thank!
Old 05-07-2002, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I don't live closer.
I would pop on over and we could just swap out tires/wheels and then drive our own cars for a day or so, on different tires.
Wow, I'm really sad I don't live closer.
I have 2,000 miles on my '02 and so far I'm very impressed with the S0-2s.
I did an AutoX in the rain and I was very, very pleased with the grip.
Now it should be interesting to see how long they last because I do enjoy a bit of oversteer on the streets, and get to enjoy that most everyday, even if only a little wiggle.
Good luck, hope someone takes you up on the offer.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:42 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Anybody know if we can setup a skid pad test somewhere for one of our meets? This way we can really find out what kind of grip our cars have with different tires!!!!! S-02's, S-03's, Yoko's, Toyo's, Mich.........maybe even if somebody is willing to bring them a set of type R's!!!!
Old 05-07-2002, 10:49 AM

I live close by you so let me know if you want to try my car out or swap wheels...only problem is that my rear tires are almost slicks now, so they have less grip then when newer....however, perhaps they now have comparable grip to your tires?
Old 05-07-2002, 12:13 PM
mas

Cool! :-) Just pick a day/time and PM me, I'll be there. Thanks!

Originally posted by HopkintonMA
I live close by you so let me know if you want to try my car out or swap wheels...only problem is that my rear tires are almost slicks now, so they have less grip then when newer....however, perhaps they now have comparable grip to your tires?
Old 05-07-2002, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mas
(you can also check out my recently upgraded sound system and see how much more clean bass I'm getting now with the top's well removed)

Hey there... so was there any downfall to removing the well for the top. I have a sub in my trunk and would like to clear the bass a bit if i can. how involved was it and do you still have the soft top?

thanks
Old 05-07-2002, 02:43 PM

Just as long as you have the F/R tread width ratios right to maintain the stock balance, I don't think you are going to have any less fun with a tire that has less grip than the OEM S02's - unless of course you are competing in an autocross. The differences in the Max performance tires is probably a couple of mph around a 55 mph ramp...
Old 05-07-2002, 03:05 PM
mas

Thanks to some tips from "jzr", it took me about 30 mins to take off the two pieces that constitute the top's well. If I need to do it again, I can do it in about 15 mins or so. The entire process is reversable and no special tools are required. This does not require removing the top or anything else, I still have the soft top as before.

As for the the difference in sound, it's at least 200% better! There's a bit more road noise but i'm sure some dynomat will take care of it. The other thing is cosmetic, i.e. with the top up it doesn't look good without the well in the back. To fix this, you can either put a piece of carpet there or modify your well and make some vents in it and cover them up with speaker grille/etc.

I highly recommed this to anyone with a sub in the trunk. The best thing is you can always put it back in 10 minutes. If anyone needs instructions, let me know.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docofmind
Originally posted by mas
(you can also check out my recently upgraded sound system and see how much more clean bass I'm getting now with the top's well removed)

Hey there... so was there any downfall to removing the well for the top. I have a sub in my trunk and would like to clear the bass a bit if i can. how involved was it and do you still have the soft top?

thanks

Quick Reply: Need a volunteer to test out Toyo Proxes T1-S tires