New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

NE s2K website links busted?

Old 05-08-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although you can do quite a bit with just HTML, I would prefer to keep the power of JavaScript (not necessarily the full power of Java). Every graphic-based browser supports it, and it offers a LOT of flexibility for a minor amount of code.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion that maybe we don't have to re-invent the wheel here and use some automotive templates that are being offered out there on the web for $50 or less:

http://www.templatesforyou.com/auto.htm
http://www.hooverwebdesign.com/templates/a...-templates.html
http://www.101templates.com/selectdesigns....category_name=3
Old 05-08-2003, 12:04 PM

JavaScript is independent upon the hosting environment. The host site where the site is being held at this very second is MaximumASP - which, as you might infer from the name, uses Windows 2003 and ASP. Not Unix, and not Apache. SO, that brings us to the question of useability/programmability.

I know ASP vbscript. Not .NET and not PHP or Perl whathaveyou. I know there are a lot of people that know one or the other, not many know both well. I think we should let our hosting be determined on a) who is willing to help with the site programming and b) what can they program?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:11 PM

if the host supports ASP, thats a plus. The medical center i work at is a microsoft shop so i have access to all kinds of good stuff.

i only suggest php because its lightwieght , easy to use, and most ISPs support it now, even the cheapo ones.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:18 PM
d2d

hmm...I guess I just don't understand what javascript would be used for. I'm familiar with javascript, but not sure how it can contribute to a dynamic environment...javascript wouldn't allow for user accounts, user maintainable "my car site" etc. I guess it just depends on how nifty of a website we'd want and how much administration we'd want to do.

A properly made site with a backend, would lessen administrative burden, allow for user customizable dynamic content...but, has platform requirements and possible hosting charges.

An html/javascript site would have no backend, and thus have little to no dynamic content. Would be more difficult to administer (users couldnt post their own "My site" page), but would allow for complete backend independence.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by g-s2k
[B]

I hope d2d is ok with me doing this... but I do like the overall layout of this.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:36 PM

I agree that the site could certainly be rewritten in ASP. It's just a matter of finding the manpower and/or scripts that are out there.

The reason I'm paying a ridiculous amount of money to have my sites hosted at MaximumASP is because just about any possible component we might ever want is supported and part of the package. So don't sweat the bells and whistles. This is NOT a cheapo ISP.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vrm Vrm
[B]I agree that the site could certainly be rewritten in ASP.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:50 PM

The thing is, I'm personally paying for the cost of the provider in total, because I host several of my own sites there. In other words, NES2KO isn't paying anything. SO, from an economic standpoint, they're riding on my coattails and getting all the benefit for absolutely none of the cost.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:51 PM

And, yes, they support .NET (but I don't know how to program it)

Quick Reply: NE s2K website links busted?